1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Landmarks as a topic- help needed

Discussion in 'Primary' started by iamsarahlou, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Hi. My school is moving to topic teaching next year. This is the first time I've done topic teaching and would like some advice please.

We were thinking about looking at famous landmarks, but I'm not sure where to start or how to narrow it down. does anybody have any ideas about where to start?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks x

2. Hi. My school is moving to topic teaching next year. This is the first time I've done topic teaching and would like some advice please.

We were thinking about looking at famous landmarks, but I'm not sure where to start or how to narrow it down. does anybody have any ideas about where to start?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks x

3. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

To save you having to start absolutely everything from scratch, what yet group are you, and what do you usually teach ingeography and history? Do you want to do man made or natural landmarks? Local, national or international? Modern or historical? How about taking a 'take one' approach - you each take a landmark and base your teaching around that? Check out the national gallery website for how they do it around a picture.
    Are you paired up with someone or on your own?
    *sigh* love this sort of thing! Marlin'll be helpful too :)

4. Hi. Thank you. We are year 3 and 4. We have taught Egyptians, Saxons, India, Romans, Vikings, leisure, local environment. I was thinking we could compare uk historical landmarks with modern international ones. Not sure what to do really. There is so much to look at. Bit overwhelmed really. Am looking forward to it but don't really know where to find a starting point.

Would be good to include some sporting landmarks as we have lots of boys. Was thinking birds nest in china something like that.

X

5. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

What do you usually teach in autumn half term?