1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Landlords - have you heard about this requirement? Any advice? Maybe renters might know?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gorgybaby, Jun 12, 2015.

1. A few people have mentioned on here that they are landlords. I have several properties which I let through different agents. One of them has contacted me to say that a legionella check us now required and that they gave negotiated a brilliant price of £95 per check.

My reading suggests that in fact a risk assessment is required and that thus risk assessment must be carried out by someone who the landlord is satisfied is a competent person.

Have you come across this? What are you doing about it?

2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

3. Thanks I have read this and am really wondering if it is something I could do myself. All of my properties are well maintained and I think the risk is minimal. However, the thought of someone catching legionnaire's and it being from a tank in my property, when I had misjudged the risk us awful.

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

HSE say the risk assessment is something you can do yourself, but you'd obviously need to find out what is entailed. I would guess it's another of those things like PAT checks which all businesses are obliged to carry out annually, but which in reality, most appliances pass and the process of conducting the checks makes work for businesses with little else to offer. Businesses that don't comply with the PAT testing requirement will continue on their merry way, and the matter will only come to light in the event of an accident on site that is serious enough to warrant an inspection by HSE who will then look at all aspects of site safety.

As for the cost the agent is asking, it seems there are companies who offer the risk assessment for less, so I would expect the letting agent will be making a charge for organising it on your behalf and be rubbing his hands at the opportunity the legislation provides him to earn a few more quid.

5. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Omg! Something Reedsraines "letting" haven't found to smack me with..... ssshhhhh don't anyone tell them.

This week's latest attempt to filch the little rent money I get is a £50 ( + VAT of course) fee to extend the tenancy after its initial 6 month time has expired. I have decided not to avail myself of this "service" as.... as far as I can see it involves them doing absolutely s*d all for their money.

I hadn't heard of this legionnaire's test. I already pay for gas and electricity, rent insurance and anything else they come up with. Of this tenant's 6 month's rent I have prob seen only one month's money after all the things I have paid for.

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We enquired about turning down the temperature of our water which is very hot. Grandchildren are not always careful about using the mixer tap and we didn't want them scalded.

We were told that the water had to be that temperature in the tank, to avoid the threat of Legionnaires. It's obviously something that has to be in new houses and will filter through to others eventually.

Helen, do your tenants not pay for their utilities. We did when we rented and our tenants did when we had a flat thst we let?

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Amazing we lived for years with lead piped, uncovered tanks, water which is not serviced and taps that had been there since the dawn of the industrial age....and now today they try to pick up another worry.

When was the last time a tenant.other than in a big firm...got this disease?

As a quick read its another piece of formality and i doubt a consultant would do it for as little as £95////the gas check man our way wants £150 minimum and a Pat tester for one plug wanted £10 per plug and a piece of paper.

if in doubt ring around.i have no doubt they will all be eagerly rubbing their hands for your cash a n bit like the energy efficiency mylarky

I think maye i need to re train a s a H&E consultant,,,,,sounds a good racket to me.

8. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

9. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

It's the in thing, that's for sure. In my role of HoD I am currently engaged in endless modules of online H&S "training". Most of it is common sense with knobs on.

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

Myhouse in brum doesn't have a tank - the gas boiler takes water direct from the mains.