1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Landline nuisance calls

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Marshall, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I have telephone preference service and I very rarely get unwanted calls. I've had six today - a couple flagged as international and then others. I answered the first couple then thought - what am I doing? None answered since.

Why am I being targeted? I haven't done anything different!

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I had a call today informing me that there was a warrant out for my arrest for defrauding HMRC And would I like to press 1 to speak to my case worker before the police arrived.

I declined their kind offer to press 1, and put the kettle on and got the chocolate biscuits out. No police so far.

I am also with the telephone preference service

the number was 02002003300

3. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I had one saying that my bank account had been hacked and I needed to ring...

Same type of number!

Glad it's not just me - thought I'd triggered something.

FormosaRed likes this.
  4. richest1

richest1 Occasional commenter

Me too. Scam BT many times.

Marshall likes this.
  5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

A trick I found out by accident is this: Pick the phone up and wait 2 seconds before saying anything, much of the time you will hear a click and then the phone will hang up. Most phones have a timer which starts straight away when you answer, just wait 2 seconds.

Often scam calls are made by a computer which connects to a human after connection, if they don't get an immediate response they assume it's an answer machine and hang up. Then you just block the number.

A real person will still be there after 2 seconds if a little confused at the delay. It's not foolproof as they don't all work like this, but it screens out lots of them.

6. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

All I use my landline for is to field unwanted calls! I am considering getting rid of it when I next contact Sky about my package (I am also going to cancel my Sky TV - now I have an Amazon firestick I can do without it now.)
    Why is it I never get nuisance calls on my mobile then?

7. will_osweighton

will_osweighton Occasional commenter

I have found BT call minder very effective. You programme in all your known numbers, which answer automatically. Any other incoming calls have to be announced and you can choose whether or not to accept them. Scam calls never announce so they never get through. It blocks many unwanted calls every day without me having to go to the trouble of even answering.

caress, bombaysapphire and emerald52 like this.
  8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Why am I being targeted? I haven't done anything different![/QUOTE]

I don't think you are targeted. Those calls seems to come in waves. There are none for ages and then,5 or 6 a day.

emerald52 and nomad like this.
  9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Yes, @catmother is right. Just leave it to ring out until the answering machine kicks in, if you have one. If it’s important or someone you need to speak to, they’ll leave a message.

Marshall, emerald52 and nomad like this.
  10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Awwww. Never mind.
    How about posting your mobile number on here, that should fix it.

11. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I let all landline calls go to answerphone unless I recognise the number. Anyone who needs to contact me can leave a message or ring my mobile if they know me. I don’t answer unknown mobile calls either.

Laphroig likes this.
  12. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Use a caller blocking phone, ours works well.

13. WB

WB Occasional commenter

I love these calls!!!

I have so.much fun making stuff up!

I really like starting off nornally then starting to talk a bit more slowly leaving very
    long
    gaps
    after
    each word.

They hang up in the end.

My record is over 3 mins.

We have a BT call blocker - it works brilliantly.
    If I'm bored I turn the blocker off.

jellycowfish, Marshall and emerald52 like this.
  14. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Telephone Preference Service only really works with UK-based telephone marketing companies who are genuinely marketing products. The regulator has powers to fine them if they don't check their call lists against TPS and remove any TPS listed numbers from their lists. Mostly it works well for that.

What it can't do is stop marketers calling from outside the UK (because they are outside the UK regulator's rules and jurisdiction) or scammers (because they don't care a monkeys about TPS or the regulator and anyway disguise the true numbers they are calling from to prevent them from being found).

emerald52 likes this.
  15. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

It's a scam phone line.

16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I forgot to update TPS when we changed our number but don't seem to get many annoying calls anymore anyway.

17. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

The trouble with scam calls is that you tend to be suspicious of all calls from unknown numbers. We had several automated calls over the weekend purporting to be from our water supplier. The message invited us to press one to hear an important message about supply in our area. I didn’t, as I assumed it to be a scam. However, for much of Saturday, our water pressure was extremely low. I checked online, and sure enough, the company was working on a problem in our area. I am still not sure if the message was genuine, or a coincidence, but the pressure is back to normal, and there have been no calls since.
    The call from ‘MasterCard’ advising me to press one to stop a payment of £600 to a foreign recipient I felt I could safely ignore. I don’t have MasterCard, or any credit card for that matter.

18. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

The police withhold their number. Lots of people either don't answer or automatically block withheld numbers. I asked them why they do this. They didn't know. They didn't know that you can make any number show that your want. They agreed that it wasn't helpful but it would be far too much effort to turn it off.

I'm on TPS but we still get quite a lot of calls from companies in the UK. They're often surprised when you tell them they've committed a criminal offence, but they also know that the chances of TPS taking any action are vanishingly small. Sometimes they just lie and claim to have checked and that we weren't on the list. Yes, of course I'd like to buy something from their scammy, untrustworthy company. Duh.

19. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I reported a double glazing company to the TPS and their calls stopped but it was quite a long and onerous task. You have to give lots of details finding out where their head office is and giving the address amongst other things. The company in question sold some windows to the previous owner of my house and we kept the same phone number, they ignored the many times when I told them I wasn't the person who bought from them but they seemed to have decided I was their customer and therefore they were at liberty to phone me to sell me more stuff ad nauseum.

20. WB

WB Occasional commenter

I once had a call from a company that were selling marketing software that only targeted marketing phone calls people who would be likely go buy it.

I pointed out that it didn't work as they had called me. The calling couldn't understand this.