1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Landed with yr 9 ceramics as a total ceramics novice

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by artmad1, Jul 6, 2018.

1. artmad1

artmad1 New commenter

Found out today I will be teaching two year 9 art groups ceramics. Have been off work with hip injury so have not at curriculum planning meetings etc.
    Been teaching art for a long time but never pottery. Have booked a days summer course and am looking at another but can anyone recommend books, Pinterest boards or websites. Don’t mind having a go but worried about my lack of experience in this field.
    There will be no negotiation about this so I would be grateful for any advice!

2. TheArtyTeacher

TheArtyTeacher New commenter

3. forthejoyofit

forthejoyofit New commenter

If you have a technician then they can help you to decide on feasible projects that can be achieved in the time set and, most important, will fire successfully. Whatever the pupils did in year 8 can be built on. You could start with simple modelling or maybe building structures joining slabs of leather-hard clay with slip. Try it out yourself in the holidays! Maybe look in your local library and check out Ceramic Review magazine for ideas. There is a whole series called 500 figures in Clay, 500 bowls, cups , teapots, etc, that I always use.

4. forthejoyofit

forthejoyofit New commenter

slabs.
    slabs of clay.
    I wonder why it changed to ***bs?

5. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Saw this in a different forum earlier today. The letters s l a cause the swear filters a problem. But why?