1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Land use UK

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Didactylos4, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

And while we're at it, how many houses could be built on cycle lanes?

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Toll roads?

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Only encountered them on the motorways... and it certainly served to keep them traffic free [while obviously pricing the poorest off them].

4. Flere-Imsaho

I was just thinking that fancy road policy might be easier when tolls are helping fund them. But equally money isn't the only problem with road planning in this country.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh ... got you...

Well one way would be a good level of petrol tax with the funds guaranteed to roads... petrol use being tied to road use.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Flere-Imsaho

So a tax on rural economies in order to fund better infrastructure in urban areas?
    :p

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Can't dispute that... though petrol consumption in an urban environment, stop starting, is heavy...

And electrification of the automobile causes problems too. But the alternative is cameras all over the place which grates on me.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

By no means enough to offset the benefit of cycling to people's health and the environment.
    As I am sure you knew before you asked ;)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I was in Manchester a few weeks ago... they seem to be embracing vertical living... LOT of tower blocks going up... whole city seemed to be being rebuilt...

Not sure how I feel about that after Grenfall but I suppose it stops urban sprawl.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. burajda

burajda Lead commenter

As I recall I think you could stand them all on Anglesey. Plaid Cymru may object.

Didactylos4 likes this.
  11. burajda

burajda Lead commenter

Far more social or rented housing? Fewer pesky homeowners to deal with?

12. burajda

burajda Lead commenter

The flats are probably private with proper safety mechanisms. It means though our cities could have similar density levels to places like Barcelona in future.

13. burajda

burajda Lead commenter

Apparently having looked it up - The whole world's population could just about fit into Essex.

14. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

It certainly wasn't the world
    At the standard crowd density of 1 person per square metre you'd fill Australia with the population of the world (almost exactly)
    At half that density (which is a tight fit) the world population would fill India

As for the population of Europe the closest fits at standard crowd density would be Zambia (bit of room still to spare) or Myanmar (very very full and probably not the place to go)

oldsomeman likes this.
  15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The trouble with Myanmar is they have to share the space with the population of Burma.

16. silkywave

silkywave Occasional commenter

Lots of farmland.... Argh s’right.