1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Land use UK

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Didactylos4, Nov 9, 2017.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

My area:

Built on11%
    Green urban6%
    Farmland80%
    Natural3%

Interesting statistics. To describe it, my area has pleasant towns that are expanding into the surrounding countryside and does indeed have little open country. This contrasts with where we used to live - far more urban and less farmland. I would have expected more to rated as "Natural" but it must have fallen under "Green urban".

Built on45%
    Green urban25%
    Farmland26%
    Natural4%

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

Oh thanks i have never heard that one before and i tend to like old music hall style songs Excellent

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Lead commenter

The county records start with 84% Farmland and quote 9% built on but here there are just shy of one hundred souls in a five mile radius.

But roads are the key. What percentage of the country's land is covered by vehicular roads?

4. burajda

burajda Lead commenter

56% built on 7% farmland. Surprised it was only 56% built on here.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

He didn't put any spread in the basket. It was butter or nothing. He said he remembered rationing, he could do without if he couldn't afford it.

6. elder_cat

elder_cat Occasional commenter

Just looked up where we live.
    Built on 57%, Green urban 19%, Farmland 23%, Natural <1%
    Still trying to figure out whether Derelict comes under Built on or Green Urban?:(

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

That's been my problem in trying to work out where the farms might be.

The road network in this area has been designed to get us into or out of it as quickly as possible and to direct us to places that have the greatest commercial value where we can be fleeced.

As with everywhere I've been, there are wonderful places locally to enjoy a good pint and a meal, places you can engage with real people, but the main roads don't let on where these places are.

8. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

It is actually much smaller than most people imagine.
    Even a full three lane motorway is only about 65m wide for both carriages and that includes sensible hard shoulders and central reservation.
    In all I believe that the UK road network covers under 2% of the available land area overall with most areas coming in way under that figure.

If memory serves the majority of that is smaller roads (those below A roads) with unclassified access roads being the most of that majority.

There's some official survey data somewhere which I will look up in the morning

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not to be picky... but even then most roads also have a couple of metres of unused land either side, hedgerows etc. And bigger roads seem to have houses set back from the road ... local to me it's about 10 metres of space off the dual carriageway before the housing kicks in.

10. Didactylos4

Feel free

Indeed, a useful wildlife corridor and habitat which should of course be classified as "natural" (in context)

That is often the of the minimum distance required in planning for noise/disturbance.

Both add surprisingly little to the total percentage of land used

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. burajda

burajda Lead commenter

Then there are local urban roads, including a pavement.
    And the houses set back....well how much of the plot they are built on is considered 'built over'? the footprint of the house itself plus perhaps a garage and/or a driveway? With some houses the garden may be bigger than the 'built on' definition and thousands of urban gardens add up to many square kilometres of not built on land. Per hectare those urban gardens are far more environmentally diverse than, for example, the large fields of parts of East Anglia.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. Didactylos4

They certainly are

By the very nature of the techniques and methodology used to compile the data some urban figures are of necessity less than definitive.
    As the statement found at the bottom of the link I posted in post #1 makes abundantly clear, some effort was made to include the variations you describe but that was, it appears, a "best estimate"
    "The largest component of the "built on" category is "discontinuous urban fabric", within which 20-50% of the surface area may be green space. To account for this we have reassigned the minimum 20% of "discontinuous urban fabric" to "green urban", which in many cases may be an underestimate. The map uses building land cover data from Ordnance Survey."

burajda likes this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I recall in France, the French being willing to make much better use of the space than we are. So a dual carriage way would be built over a railway [or vice versa] in places. Shopping complexes built over roads and underground car parks seemed the norm in many towns and cities. In Nice there is a stretch of dual carriageway [about 9 miles] that goes under the city, while local roads serve the local area. So heavy traffic is able to smoothly move without congestion building up.

At the end of my road is a dual carriageway and shopping area. If I had to power and money I'd sink the dual carriage way below surface level, have feeder tunnels rising up and then have the surface level remodelled into a shopping district for pedestrians. When I lived in Belgium I remember a lot of houses had three storeys with the garage being sunk down into the basement and onstreet parking not being permitted. Where I presently live, most homes seem to have two [or three cars if older children are still at home] and the streets are packed with vehicles sometimes.

Local to me, the big town centre shopping complex ends and opens out onto dual carriage way with pedestrian crossings over to the railway station. If I'd been the planner I'd have built the complex over the dual carriage way and had lifts/escalators on the far side, make use of the space above the road. I suspect the reason that doesn't happen is one of cost.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. Didactylos4

That post triggered some thinking on my part Lanokia (you can probably hear the noise of the rusty gears from there)
    It is already the case that much of the UK highways network is used for multiple purposes as there are 150,000 miles of public highways that are largely part of other land usage (mostly farming of some sort)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Lead commenter

I'd thought hills were ideal for growing beans on and so no big deal?

Hence the Bogart line from Casablanca.

I did mean locally- though I accept you wouldn't know about our local pressure groups.

I'm sure that I had this conversation recently?
    Isn't the problem going to be pressure on food production from the world rather than local population?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Lead commenter

I think that is something that should be pointed out on all future threads where people start talking about us being full.

17. Didactylos4

Indeed so

I believe that is one view. There are others I think (a short and not by any means complete list below)

1. Supply security
    2. Supply quality
    3. Cost (simple)
    4. Cost (complex -includes various factors)
    5. Environmental cost
    6. Type of food supplied
    7. Buying habits and profits
    8. Brexit (which apparently/allegedly affects many of the above)
    9. Global Trade variations
    10. Financial variations (local and worldwide)
    11. Dietary necessity (MIN/Max)
    Feel free to add or subtract as you see fit

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Asked this earlier... didn't get much in way of response.

When would you consider us ''full''?

According to demographics we're heading towards 70 million by the end of the next decade [https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationprojections] and we're told we have to have a growing population to sustain our increasing elderly population... so is there a point where we can be called ''full''?

Lara mfl 05 and Didactylos4 like this.
  19. Didactylos4

According to some sources household gardens across the UK cover more land than golf courses.....
    Feel free to challenge the golf courses (I don't play) but taking on the gardeners may well be a rash and probably highly unpopular move :eek: :D
    But it's your life.....:)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

Wasn't there some statistic quoted once that you could stand all the population either of Europe or the World on the British Isles and still have room...I think them we could be deemed full lol