1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Land use UK

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Didactylos4, Nov 9, 2017.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

Scotland has long wanted to attract new folks to live there.
    One of the great problems is not the care and hospitality of the folk up there but the lack of work , the islands and highlands seemingly suffering a lot in this aspect.
    Yet when I was in Arren and Mull and talking to owners, the real problem for them was to get trades persons. Although there are such folk of course, there isn't enough of them. The builders as such are okay in that a lot of building was going on in those islands, but the plumbers , decorators etc are often not employed well in the winter but busy in the summer.When I mentioned I was a general builder one hotel owner did ask me to come as she had work, but often couldn't get the trade persons to do the jobs.Me wife said 'dont you dare' lol.Dear old townie woman.
    By the same token many folk there are dependent upon visitors and industry being limited to tourism,distillery's and farming.

mathsmutt likes this.
  2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

4% built on 92% farm land

mathsmutt likes this.
  3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Butter is a classic this year... 250g appears to have gone up about 60p that's approx 31% increase... now I wonder why that might be? *I mean cause not just referencing inflation.

slingshotsally likes this.
  4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I remember talking to an incomer to Arren. Said initially worked as much as possible, but eventually adopted the local custom of, its too nice to work today, will go fishing instead,

5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Possibly because milk prices are too low.

6. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

I haven't bought butter for at least 6 months. I wince when I see the price. I might get some if it's two for one. This afternoon as was at the local supermarket, and an elderly gentleman said the same thing. 250g lurpac at £1.60, he said he'd do without.

Butter is a luxury now for some people.

needabreak likes this.
  7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Built on 2%
    Green urban<1%
    Farmland 94%
    Natural 3%

mathsmutt and slingshotsally like this.
  8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Cross 'em with the native haggis populations and that should be no problem.

oldsomeman, mathsmutt and Didactylos4 like this.
  9. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter Forum guide

Built on 6%
    Green urban 2%
    Farmland. 88%
    Natural 4 %
    I'm just wondering where the heck the Narural is

mathsmutt likes this.
  10. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Scotland is crying out for immigration. We'd welcome the population increase, especially in some areas, but the UK government won't always approve visas even if people have jobs to come to.

But a % is never going to work. All that "natural" land is Scotland is empty for a reason. It can't just be about urban or built up areas - you need to look at infrastructure too.

mathsmutt and lanokia like this.
  11. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Here in NE Derbyshire:
    Built on 8%

Green urban 4%

Farmland. 76%

Natural. 12%

InkyP and mathsmutt like this.
  12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Thank you for that, Nanook. I did actually listen to it when you drew our attention to the revision history programmes on the Podcast thread. It's well worth checking out.

Could they build golf courses on it so it could free up all the land in England that golf courses waste.

It's absolutely ridiculous that they say there isn't enough land to build homes on when golf courses take up almost as much land as all our housing does. Get rid of golf and we could double the housing stock. Don't they know there's a war on?

Nanook_rubs_it likes this.
  13. woollani

woollani New commenter

I see. Hard cheese old boy.

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Fife's already done that.

15. colpee

colpee Lead commenter

IMG_3099.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    sabrinakat and mathsmutt like this.
  16. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

He'd do better with a healthy olive spread at 90p for 250g.

17. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter Forum guide and community helper

18. needabreak

We'll be churning our own next, I think there's a "new" 1litre gadget for that by Kilner and if the milk made it worthwhile or I lived near a dairy farm I would do it. Gone are the days of milk and butter mountains.

19. needabreak

It depends what you're baking. Besides aren't the butter vs spread health benefits debatable?

20. sadscientist

sadscientist Occasional commenter

Sorry, off topic, but @oldsomeman your post reminded me of this song, it's now been on my brain all day...

"Wiv a ladder and some glasses
    You could see the 'ackney Marshes
    If it wasn't for the 'ouses in between"

:)

21. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I've just realised that I didn't post the results for my area
    Built On - 5%
    Green Urban - 3%
    Farmland - 56%
    Natural - 37%

The "Built On" seemed higher than it should at first but the wide local area used (I can't get closer than that) has some pretty big towns and one city included.