1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Laminators

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dav1970, May 30, 2011.

1. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

Hi all
    Apologies for putting this post on here but I've no idea what forum category to put it in!
    Anyway, just finishing my NQT year and starting a new job in September. The school is tight on resource and I'm big on quality displays. The laminator they have is like something from WW2 and I know that the head isn't too keen on people using it.
    Therefore, I'm more than happy to buy myself a little laminator of my own and spend my own cash on pouches to keep my displays and resources top notch.
    Can anybody recommend a decent laminator that is affordable and reliable for medium use? No more than £50 please!
    Thanks in advance
    D

2. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

Hi all
    Apologies for putting this post on here but I've no idea what forum category to put it in!
    Anyway, just finishing my NQT year and starting a new job in September. The school is tight on resource and I'm big on quality displays. The laminator they have is like something from WW2 and I know that the head isn't too keen on people using it.
    Therefore, I'm more than happy to buy myself a little laminator of my own and spend my own cash on pouches to keep my displays and resources top notch.
    Can anybody recommend a decent laminator that is affordable and reliable for medium use? No more than £50 please!
    Thanks in advance
    D

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have this one:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002VUAURA/ref=oss_product

Works well for me and it is useful to have A3, A4 and A5 pouches.

4. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I was in the same position last year and bought the tesco value one for abut £15 - pouches are about £3 for 25. I used it soooo much last summer and it has had light use since but is going strong. Not bad for such a cheapie!

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I have the Tesco value one too. Mostly works really well but sometimes I have to put the sheet through twice. I use the Tesco laminator pouches too.

6. I have an ASDA one, think it was about £15 and the pouches are usually on offer. I got my first one about 3 years ago and i now have another for home:)

7. I bought my laminator from Partners (they've changed their name) although I am on my second one. To be fair, it gets lots of use. I also made sure I bought one that reverses this time (for any that get stuck).
    I never buy pouches. I think the school ought to provide these as they are very expensive and the resources are used at school. I bring a pack home every now and then. The same with paper. I print using my own ink but I don't see why I should have to provide my own paper as well.

8. I got mine from Wilkos. I've had it two years and it works really well.

9. If you want one that'll last and that you don't have to put your stuff through 2 or 3 times to make it seal then I'd invest in a 'Fellowes' laminator.
    Fellowes Mars is their cheapest personal model - you can pick it up quite cheaply from Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fellowes-5700901-Mars-A4-Laminator/dp/B000KKMCII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=officeproduct&qid=1306832888&sr=8-1

- only £30 as opposed to the usual £50-£60

10. I've got a Fellowes one, fed with the finest Tesco Value laminating pouches and, apart from taking centuries to warm up - it's pretty good (and slim enough it can get booted under the bottom of one of the lounge bookshelves to go away).

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

What on earth do you suppose people didn't in the years between WW2 andwhen laminators became a Must Hae in the staffroom?

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

have - sticky v
    Do you really need aminators for 'quality displays'? If so, why?
    I can understand how lamiators makke things you use every year cost-effective but no up-down display needs laminating in order to make it 'quality.'

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

Laminators -the whole keyboard is sticky!

14. I used to laminate lettering I cut out - save me making it again.
    Also if you were blessed/cursed with a "classroom" like mine which was essentially a corridor where the kids queued up for the dining hall and leant on all the walls - laminating was the only way to try to ensure that any display wasn't trashed within 20 minutes of going up (there's only so much hiding like a troll you can do yelling "who's that leaning on my display" when you do need to leave the area sometimes)

15. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

We have a VI child in class this year so have had to use matt pouches. I never realised until then how 'unfriendly' the shiny stuff is (all glarey and horrible) and have come to the opinion they ruin my displays so stopped using them. The only laminated things at moment are hfw I will reuse next year, and my birthday kites. I still use them for phoneme frames etc.but not for boards.

16. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

Oh I'm not! I'm just obeying the rules of my current school, I can't exactly say I'm not producing laminated displays if that's their policy! My new school aren't as hot as they are on displays so I won't be treating everything like a work of art :eek:)

17. Bought mine in Asda £10.... bargain. Lives in my classroom.... no queuing to use it and my TA can use it whilst I am waffling on at the front stopping at exact point I need her. Cracking!

18. oh, i should hate to go back to the days of clear 'sticky-backed plastic' - i never mastered the art of rolling it on wothout creating 'bubbles'
    i wouldn't dream of laminating displays, but i do have to prepare a lot of instruction sheets, eg on puzzles and games, for the whole school, and if not laminated, they don't last - i have been known to take my own laminator in and use it hidden in a cupboard, but using school pouches

19. huh - having posted that with a typo, why can't i 'edit' on here like i can on 'personal'?

20. Is your school eco friendly? It takes between100 and 200 years for a laminated piece of paper to decompose....now there's a reason to only laminate those things that really need it because they are being used over and over again. Also the glare can be a problem...try putting it on the wall and reading it clearly from every one of your children's seats....I was surprised to discover how un user friendly they are...