1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Laminated resources outside?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by blondehecate, Feb 18, 2012.

1. I know this is a random question but please help....
    In the process of livening up the outdoor area....again!
    What is the secret to having laminated signs/vocab etc outside that don't get wrecked/runied by the wind and rain....as obviously when you hang/staple etc the rain tends to get inside the laminate.
    I am sure I read a tip on here a while back but having searched I can't find it - anybody got any ideas??
    Thank you!

2. I know this is a random question but please help....
    In the process of livening up the outdoor area....again!
    What is the secret to having laminated signs/vocab etc outside that don't get wrecked/runied by the wind and rain....as obviously when you hang/staple etc the rain tends to get inside the laminate.
    I am sure I read a tip on here a while back but having searched I can't find it - anybody got any ideas??
    Thank you!

3. I did exactly what you are suggesting. The posters were just stapled to the outside wall. two out of the three are still there, although the water has got in a little bit. They have been up since last March. The children still point to them and ask questions about them. Even if you don't get anymore responses, Give it a go. it is worth it.

4. Would be interested to hear answers to this too! I just keep re-doing mine.
    Lou

5. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

Double laminating makes them more durable but really you have to expect to replace them fairly regularly - which makes the children take more notice of them.

Good Luck.

6. We make sure that there is a large border of laminate around whatever is being laminated,a bit then only staple or holepunch through the border so that the paper/card is still sealed within the laminate.They do fade in the sunlight but they are not affected by the rain. We've had some of ours for several years now.

7. Sorry, that didn't quite make sense! What I meant to say was, they do fade a bit in the sunlight! Some are left out all the time, but the others are in resource packs and come out when needed, but they are out in all weathers!

8. I agreewith all other posts - no magic answers but this is an easy nifty writing opportunity.
    Cut up cardboard boxes into large sign/label size any size will do as dictated by the box. Hole punch corners an add string for hanging them around. I keep a stack of them for children to write signs with fat felts chalk etc. Theydont last but it's a v cheap and sustainable resource with loads of uses. I have raised flower beds so I can make labels that go in the ground. As I'm writing this I've had an idea of trying to use sticks nailed/glued to larger pieces of wood to make numbers or letters or shapes. Maybe pebbles/shells too pressed into plaster - can we use putty? Hmmmm