1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lamb

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by knickersinatwist, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Boyfriend and I are staying in on Valentines Day - we would like to mark the occasion but don't want to go out. As he is working and I have the day off I would like to cook him something that we haven't had before.

I have just bought some lovely lamb steaks but don't know what to do with them. I can be quite fussy - on the whole I don't like white sauces but love red / brown ones (its not a colour thing, just what goes in them!). I fancy something with a red wine sauce - any ideas? Is it best to cook the steaks in the sauce or do them separately?

Also can't decide which potatoes or vegetables

Thanks for any ideas :)

2. Boyfriend and I are staying in on Valentines Day - we would like to mark the occasion but don't want to go out. As he is working and I have the day off I would like to cook him something that we haven't had before.

I have just bought some lovely lamb steaks but don't know what to do with them. I can be quite fussy - on the whole I don't like white sauces but love red / brown ones (its not a colour thing, just what goes in them!). I fancy something with a red wine sauce - any ideas? Is it best to cook the steaks in the sauce or do them separately?

Also can't decide which potatoes or vegetables

Thanks for any ideas :)

3. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I would fry them first in garlic and rosemary then add some chicken stock and red wine plus a little tomotoe puree. Season with black pepper and some cayenne pepper. You could add some button mushrooms, some shallots and chunks of chorizo then put in the oven for at least an hour or until the lamb is tender. If you want the gravy to be alittle thicker you could dust steaks with flour before frying.
    Serve with new potatoes and green beans. Delicious.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Fry the steaks in butter, deglaze the pan with a good slug of wine, simmer for a few mins to thicken, add some chopped herbs, I'm inclined to say tarragon but any will do.
    Serve with pommes boulangere, see the Delia recipe below. Use just stock if you prefer, I would.

These potatoes are so named because in France they were given to the local baker to place in a bread oven to cook
    slowly. The nice thing is that you can pop them in your oven and just
    forget about them until you are ready to serve, and, unlike other potato
    dishes, they don't mind being kept warm.

[​IMG]

<h4 style="font-size:12.8px;" class="float_right first yield"> Serves 6</h4>

<table style="font-size:12.8px;"><tr style="font-size:12.8px;"><th style="font-size:15.3667px;" class="recipes">Ingredients</th></tr><tr style="font-size:12.8px;"><td style="font-size:12.8px;" class="hr ingredient"><b style="font-size:12.8px;"> 2 lb 8 oz (1.15 kg) Desir&eacute;e or Romano potatoes, peeled[/b]</td></tr><tr style="font-size:12.8px;"><td style="font-size:12.8px;" class="hr ingredient"><b style="font-size:12.8px;"> &frac12; oz (10 g) fresh rosemary[/b]</td></tr><tr style="font-size:12.8px;"><td style="font-size:12.8px;" class="hr ingredient"><b style="font-size:12.8px;"> 2 medium onions, peeled[/b]</td></tr><tr style="font-size:12.8px;"><td style="font-size:12.8px;" class="hr ingredient"><b style="font-size:12.8px;"> 10 fl oz (275 ml) vegetable stock[/b]</td></tr><tr style="font-size:12.8px;"><td style="font-size:12.8px;" class="hr ingredient"><b style="font-size:12.8px;"> 5 fl oz (150 ml) milk[/b]</td></tr><tr style="font-size:12.8px;"><td style="font-size:12.8px;" class="hr ingredient"><b style="font-size:12.8px;"> 1&frac12; oz (40 g) butter[/b]</td></tr><tr style="font-size:12.8px;"><td style="font-size:12.8px;" class="hr ingredient"><b style="font-size:12.8px;"> sea salt and freshly milled black pepper [/b]</td></tr><tr style="font-size:12.8px;"><td style="font-size:12.8px;" class="hr"><b style="font-size:12.8px;"> Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4, 350&deg;F (180&deg;C).[/b]</td></tr></table> <table style="font-size:12.8px;"> <tr style="font-size:12.8px;"><th style="font-size:15.3667px;" class="conversions">Conversions</th></tr><tr style="font-size:12.8px;"><td style="font-size:12.8px;" class="hr"><b style="font-size:12.8px;">Need help with conversions?[/b]</td></tr></table> <table style="font-size:12.8px;"> <tr style="font-size:12.8px;"><th style="font-size:15.3667px;" class="equipment">Equipment</th></tr><tr style="font-size:12.8px;"><td style="font-size:12.8px;" class="hr"><b style="font-size:12.8px;">You will also need an ovenproof dish measuring 11 x 8 x 2 inches (28 x 20 x 5 cm), lightly buttered.[/b]</td></tr></table>

This
    recipe is taken from How to Cook Book One and Delia's Vegetarian
    Collection. It has also appeared in Sainsbury's Magazine (Apr 1994)[/b]

Begin by preparing the rosemary, which should be stripped from the stalks then bruised in a pestle and mortar. After
    that, take two-thirds of the leaves and chop them finely. Now cut the
    onions in half and then the halves into the thinnest slices possible;
    the potatoes should be sliced, but not too thinly. All you do is arrange a layer of potatoes, then onions, in the dish,
    followed by a scattering of rosemary, then season. Continue layering in
    this way, alternating the potatoes and onions and finishing with a
    layer of potatoes that slightly overlap. Now
    mix the stock and milk together and pour it over the potatoes. Season
    the top layer, then scatter over the whole rosemary leaves. Now put
    little flecks of the butter
    all over the potatoes and place the dish on the highest shelf of the
    oven for 50-60 minutes, until the top is crisp and golden and the
    underneath is creamy and tender.

5. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Try layering up some potato, aubergine and tomato in a nice baking dish and drizzle with olive oil, chopped garlic and dried oregano. Sprinkle over some crumbled feta and top with some more potato. Bake until everything is tender then top with the lamb steaks and add some more garlic, oregano and oil and bake until lamb is done to your liking. Perfect with a green salad/green vegetable and some crusty bread to mop up juices. Perfect for Valentine's Day - only one dish and couple of plates to wash up.

6. Thanks for the suggestions :)