1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lake district hire cottage - suggestions

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mangleworzle, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

We're thinking of hiring a place for 6 of us this summer in the Lake District.
    While I have been many times in the past (though not for about 20 years), it was always arranged by someone else so I never thought much about where I was.
    Any suggestions? A nice view with walks on the doorstep is the priority though preferably not at the end of a 2 mile 4x4 only track. Nearby pub would be nice but not the priority.

2. angiebabe

angiebabe Occasional commenter

Try the Peak District for a change. The Long Barn at Bank Top Farm
    Churnet Valley Road
    Kingsley Holt
    STOKE-ON-TRENT
    ST10 2BQ
    Sleeps 8
    We got this through Hoseasons. Beautiful place to stay, stunning views, lots of places to visit and farmer is an absolute gem. Daughter is going back during half-term as he has a smaller barn which will suit their little family.

3. We had a lovely flat from these people
    http://www.heartofthelakes.co.uk/
    in Grasmere. It has four ensuite bedrooms and one big living room/kitchen. It's right in the middle of the village but you can do lovely walks straight from the door. And it's central so all the rest of the Lake District is easily accessible. I think it was called Easedale.

4. Not stayed in a cottage (I camped) but Keswick was beautiful. There was a small town with traditional pubs and restaurants. Lovely holiday.

5. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

As above but for ullswater

6. I've always stayed in Grasmere when in the lakes. Either camped or stayed in teh Rothay Garden Hotel if you want a bit of comparative luxury. It was always good to eat there too, but not been there for a couple of years so not sure what it's like now. Good luck.

7. We go the The Lakes at least once a year. We usually use Cumbrian Cottages. I'd steer clear of Bowness and Ambleside. We often go to what is now known as The Furness Peninsula but it's basically around Cartmel, Ulverston, Lakeside. Really nice and cheap.

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I spent a holiday in the Lake District a couple of years ago and came accross a really pretty village (Elterwater) at the end of a lovely easy walk,following a river. There's a pub in the village and a great art gallery/restaurant at the other end of the walk. There are lots of holiday cottages in the village run by Wheelwrights and the Good Life cottage company. The cottages looked really nice. I picked up the brochures and I still have them as I thought that if I ever came back there,I would hire one of those.