1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lagos - any info please

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by exuk, Feb 13, 2011.

1. We would like to hear from anyone who is or has been teaching/living in Lagos., We have heard all the horror stories and want to know if they are true. We are a couple with a teenage daughter, should we go?

2. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Been there so I can tell you the gory truth. Are the horrow stories true? Which ones?
    <ol>[*]The ones involving deaths of teachers? A couple of stories that I know includes the one about the Headteacher dying and the periodical liquid based person school treated the wife like sht. [*]The one about the teachers and students being shot? Several true stories on that score, icnlduign some where the victims were shot by police. (had the bggers aim shotguns at me a few times too)[*]Stories about teachers not getting paid? Huge number of true stories about that - contracts are meaningless and not enforceable.</ol>Lagos is a cess pool. If I was facing backruptcy, my mothers life depended on it and there were no other schools in the world...I'd still consider working at a burger king in Wigan a better option than any Lagos School.
    An interesting story you may not be aware is that many of the established families have the origins of their wealth in the slave trade; it was the Nigerians, especially from areas close to Lagos, who exploited the populace from the region, earning great riches selling other humans into a life of bondage. Some may say Nigerians never got out of the habit of exploiting others for their personal gain...
    There are several people who will spin a different tale, mostly HTs and school owners, including the ones who pretend their school is a charity, who are desperate to get staff.
    If you still take up an offer, you must take the malaria tablets no matter how expsenive they are; the chances are you will catch malaria, if you take the tablets there's a greater likelihood you'll survive. I caught cerebral malaria whilst there, despite taking the tablets I was given (larium) and I was lucky to survive; my brain function is much slower than before.,

3. A very big thank you, we will not be going ahead!!

4. MisterMaker

My day is happier knowing I've saved someone's career from likely disaster.

5. Not only that....
    If noone is 'barmy' enough to go to Nigeria there will be increased opportunities for local employment and not so local.
    Maybe one day we will be witness to an overwhelming people's movement against corruption, human trafficking, Shell-the environment........

6. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Ashamed to say my first reaction was to get cheeky here. I was forced to grudgingly admit to myself that while I may take exception to the way you sometimes express your strong opinions, the speed of your brain function was never in doubt. At least not by me. I can't speak for others. [​IMG]
    Good bit of cautionary insight there. [​IMG]

7. MisterMaker

My brain may not be as quick, but my sharpness of wit and ability to reason things through (and often seeing things from a different perspective than most) is as good as eva. [​IMG]

8. I cant believe what I have just read here, Is this the same Lagos we are talking about here, I live in Lagos, I run a school in Lagos and yes it is not exactly London or Kent but I enjoy it here, I enjoy teaching the staff new things and i enjoy the children, depending on what you come to Lagos to do, my friends that have come over have enjoyed themselves. If you believe everything one person says then you are better of staying I say

9. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I can't believe it's not butter!
    Or is it?
    I am not sure.
    Could someone enlighten me?

10. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Oh Dear

11. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

My reply was to post 8

12. MisterMaker

besides not making total sense this posters clearly has ntoiced the huge number of other posters who know what really goes on in Lagos and do share share his rosy image of the cess pool.
    I did say owners / HTs will try to give you a different point of view.
    CRB checks clearly aren't needed, but as so few are stupid enough to go to Nigeria, they'll take anyone.

13. MisterMaker

My keyboard is crep.
    besides not making total sense this posters clearly hasn't ntoiced the huge number of other posters who know what really goes on in Lagos and who don't share share his rosy image of the cess pool.

14. Sandman

Sandman New commenter

A bad tradesman blames his tools. A bad teacher blames his children. A bad typist blames his keyboard. A bad head teacher can't secure a decent keyboard. A bad Board can't secure a decent head teacher.etc,etc.

15. Oh I am really sorry that I am not making any sense to you, so let me try and enlighten you, firstly unlike the majority of HT or owners in Lagos, I was born, brought up and educated in cold England so I do know what the education system is like in England. Lagos is no where halfway there. What you are paid by the hour in England is probably what you will be offered per month, if you are lucky. Personally, I would not advise any one to come over to work or live in Lagos unless they have lived in a remote village before. The condition is ****, electricity is unstable, schools want the best but may not be able to afford it. Thanks to friends I have been able to resource materials which would not otherwise be possible. As for crime, we dont have children stabbing each other and I am not scared to allow my children to play outside the front door. This is Lagos

16. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Are you for or against the motion that Lagos ( and Nigeria by extension ) is not the greatest place in the world to teach in?
    Maybe it is just my reading of your post, but you don't seem to paint the rosiest of pictures.

17. My assumption of people going overseas to work was to learn about other cultures, share their experiences and knowledge, but sometimes the place or country does not meet your expectation. a single holiday destination would throw up thousands of different reviews on TripAdvisor. In comparison to a developed country, Nigeria's education system is poor but that is not to say people can't work here because you will be imparting what you have. The basic neccessities like water, electricity and good roads are lacking but I personally was aware of that before I made the decision to come here. I am 'teaching' children in Yr 3 how to use a computer which even the teachers dont know how to use. Not surprising since I am still trying to confirm when Lagos will be breaking up for the Easter break on the internet, no luck. So to answer your question, Lagos is not the greatest place in the world to teach in but I dont think it is as bad as it has been painted to be either!

18. MisterMaker

You clearly are either extremely naive or don't actually live in Lagos or Nigeria.
    I have lived their and I wasn't stupid enough to allow my kids to play 'outside', which for 99% of Lagos would means playing on the road - unless you're on a large walled campus full of security guards, which is not the same image you suggest.
    As I said twice before. HTs and owners are the ones who like to paint false rosey pictures of the cess pool.
    You haven't met many HTs in Lagos then, unless you include the state schools. Most HTs there are from the UK / US or South Africa.
    As K says, in some places you seem to be agreeing that Nigeria is a crp place to be, yet your conclusion is inane.

19. Who is actually painting the picture, the foreigners being paid to reign you in or the owners? just goes to show how much or shall I say how little you know about Lagos. The area you must be talking about is mainland Lagos, which would include Victoria Island, Ikoyi, Lekki to mention a few. These areas boast of very wealthy nigerians and 'international' schools. They pride themselves in recruiting expats, charging extortionate school fees but this is a part of Lagos, Out of curiousity, did you venture out of this area while you were here or you just went by what you heard. I dont live on the mainland and the area is not walled or security patrolled, my children play outside with the neighbours children if they wish which does not include the road. In England, on the other hand, it was the garden or supervised trips to the local park. I am not naive and not only do I live in Lagos, I have travelled to Ibadan and Abeokuta which are neighbouring states to Lagos so I do know what I am talking about. Feel free to lambast Lagos but be more specific to the area considering that the area of Lagos that you know is extremely limited.

20. So, you don´t live on the mainland. You don´t live on the islands. Hmmmm.
    Well, I lived in Lagos, and the things you say don´t make any sense at all. (I also travelled around the country and lived in Abuja.)

As the jobs o TES are for the international schools, it is reasonable to expect posters to refer to those schools, and those parts of Lagos.
    The facts:

Lagos is a difficult, dirty place to live
    Expats cannot travel freely, either in Lagos itself or thoughout Nigeria
    No white westerner in their right mind would let their child play out unsupervised in Lagos