1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ladies, are your ears pierced - how old when you had them done?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sparkly_duck, May 27, 2011.

1. I started wanting them done when I was 7 because the very glamous girl in my class (she of the waist length hair) got hers done and I liked the way they looked. Mum said "when you're 16". Over the years it went down to 15, and then back up to 16. I finally got them done on the last day of year 8, when I was 13.
    Set 2 + top of my right ear came on the last day of my GCSEs when I was 16. 3rd piercing in right ear when I was 19, belly button when I was 20 (since closed up but I'm thinking of having it done again), tattoo when I was 22, nose attempt 1 at 26 (closed up when I took it out for school) and nose attempt 2 at 28 (still there; I wear a clear one for school).
    I wear really small studs in my lobes (children comment on how small they are!), a small silver hoop in the top of my ear and either a clear stud or a tiny silver stud in my nose.
    And I am not a chav at all!

2. First ear piercing at 8, second set of holes at 12. Belly button pierced for my 16th birthday.

3. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

I was 5.
    Unbeknownst to my mom, my nan (dad's mom) took me to get them done. My mom was livid!xx
    [​IMG]

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I was about 11 when my Mum and her Auntie went out shopping for the day and both came back with their ears pierced. Great Auntie Eva must have been in her 70s then.
    I was allowed to have mine done on my 13th birthday. I enjoy the ritual of chosing which earrings to wear each morning.

5. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

Wasn't allowed them till I was ten. I vaguely remember being incredibly jealous of my friend who had them done when I was in Nursery or Primary 1. One of the more boisterous boys in the class snatched the toy phone off of her one day while she was playing with it, taking her ear-ring and half her earlobe with her.
    That put me off a bit.

6. Sorry Inky...didn't mean to distract..... was just reiminiscing about what was happening when I first got my ears pierced! It was obviously a memorable occasion........ sorry if i offended ... didn't mean to... x

7. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Hi Annie! Hope you're well. Are you still in Oz?
    I think Inky meant that it was a good way for the girl to distract you while you were having your ears pierced!
    Thanks for your replies everyone. I have enjoyed reading your piercing experiences.
    For what it's worth, I don't like to see very young children and babies with it done ... tacky-tastic. Same with those godawful tramline things in young boys' hair.
    Mind you, I never think it looks common in Asian babies (and your photo was GORGEOUS, Theo!). It doesn't seem so bad if it's part of a culture.
    It's just piercings on peely wally Brit babies that I object to!

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Offended me? Don't be a daft bat! I thought it was a lovely story. xxx

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

Poor little souls can't even have their ears pierced without being labelled. What's a peely wally?

10. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

peely wally is a Scottish adjective, which means pale or pasty.
    We Scots refer to ourselves as peely wally all the time!

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

Poor little sods - they can wear earrings if they're a bit, well, exotic-looking, but not if they're not!

12. I pestered my mum regularly from the age of 6 and the answer was when I was 13. She tried to put me off with all sorts of horror stories, including how when I was 9 months, I ripped an earring out of her ear.... And then when I was 13 in March she found legitimate reasons to put it off till May. Finally I got them done with a gun. After 6 weeks, I wanted to change them for some sparkly studs to wear to a disco, we changed them and they became so infected the swelling was so bad you couldn't see my earring and mum had to pierce it with a needle to release all the gunk.

I had second one in each lobe when I was 16, but my ears are too small and I let them close up pretty quick, much to my mothers relief!

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

Never wear cheap metals in your ears.
    These occcasional horror stories don't put anyone off. They usually involve lack of hygiene or downright bungling.

14. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Yep, that's my view anyway, inconsistent and politically incorrect as it may be. [​IMG]

15. I persuaded my mum to let me have my ears pierced when I was 12 (on holiday, refused to go on the dodgem cars with her until she caved in[​IMG]). Then I hit 13 at the same time as the Sex Pistols came about, Vivienne Westward/Malcolm McLaren were doing their bondage-inspired clothing and I went bonkers about piercings. I had 15 holes in my right ear but only 7 in the other. My nose was pierced (first person in my school - caused a stir) and then I stopped. Thankfully Punk was a short-lived phase of mine and I could remove them.
    I put it down to the folly of my youth!

16. How on earth did you manage to fit 7 on an ear, let alone 15?!?!?!
    This thread is making me want to get at least one other hole pieced in my ear, just don't know where...

17. Closely placed holes all the way up to the top. Some were sort of double rows.
    Yeah, I thought it was cool at the time. If I told you that I only ever had my first holes pierced by a professional and did the others myself, would that make it sound very much worse?

Seriously, if you want your ears pierced so you can wear a pair of pretty earrings then do it. Honestly, if my mother could do it without fainting then anyone can.

18. I had mine done in the infants. I don't really wear earrings and was told they would close, but they never have. [​IMG]

19. I'd be very impressed. I tried to piece my own several times during my teenage years, but I'm rubbish at inflicting pain on myself, so I got a professional to do it.