1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ladders

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Flowersinspring, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

In tights. Not lovely opaque black (other colours are available) but in the sheer, glossy, natural type. I hand wash them and think I'm being careful but have to chuck them after two wears. I've seen some on a website called Heist and they're about £20!!!!!!! For flesh- coloured tights!!!!! Have spent today with a rather attractive enormous ladder in my left leg and am sick of it!:mad::confused::rolleyes:

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

2 wears seems a bit of a short life . . . what denier are they?

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

The Heist 30 and 60 denier tights are really comfortable and hard wearing. I had to give up with the nude ones though. I tried to take very good care of them but they still only lasted a couple of wears. Heist did replace one pair free but the replacement only lasted one wear before laddering on the sharp corner of a file!

4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Are they second face?

8725D758-8D07-486A-9465-F337F32512B5.jpeg

Flowersinspring likes this.
  5. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

6. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Don't buy them !!
    Bought a couple of pairs for my younger girl as "stocking filler" last Christmas....... one pair laddered putting them on - she is careful and I had warned her to be careful because they weren't cheap!
    Regret the purchase!

7. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

wear stockings.

8. gargs

gargs Star commenter

I put my tights in a small cloth bag before washing them (making sure to tie the handles together firmly so the tights don't escape). They still get clean but don't end up tangled up with everything else and seem to last longer.

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

[​IMG]

10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Wear trousers. Or buy cheap supermarket tights that you don’t mind laddering.

11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I get my opaque black tightsfrom Primark and they last for years.

12. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

£20 is bonkers. I pay over the odds for tights but I'm a fat bird so tights generally are not my friend - but Snag ones actually do stay up and are really really comfy to wear - but even they're nowhere near that price.

13. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Sorry for the unexplained advice to wear stockings

If you ladder one, you've still got half a pair to match with another.

Always carry a bottle of plain nail varnish for emergencies.

14. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Have any of you tried this? https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...d-ladders-tights-good-make-sure-doing-it.html

"After buying a new pair of tights, before wearing them, take them out of their packaging and run them under a cold tap until they are damp.

Then place them in a plastic bag and put into the freezer overnight.

After taking them out the next morning, leave them a day to thaw out.

But after doing this just once, the tights will be significantly stronger, according to the website.

By putting tights in the freezer, it firms and strengthens the individual fibres of your tights and makes them less likely to ladder.

David Rigby, buyer and hosiery expert at the Sock Shop, said: Freezing your tights creating a "cryogenic stress relief" process on the nylon.

How this works is, cold temperatures stop the molecules from moving and strengthen each fibre of the tights.

Then by bringing them back to room temperature, the molecules loosen up, rearrange and release most of the internal pressure between them.

This makes the material very uniform on a molecular level, therefore reducing the weak spots that cause the snagging in the nylon."