1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

lacking motivation!?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by anon1369, Feb 26, 2012.

1. I am finding it so hard to keep myself motivated at the minute!
    I hate spending all my free time planning lessons because those already on the system in school are absolubtly rubbish and so I have to adapt every single lesson which takes up so much time. I love my department, everyone is lovely but we don't really seem to work as a team, everyone seems to plan their own lessons (or obviously use stuff they have created in previous years) and being an NQT my bank of resources is very small.
    My lesson plans get checked by my HOD (who tells me the stuff available is not good enough) and so I have to create new lessons and resources (although they are good enough for all other members of the department to use) so it really is a case of 'do as I say not as I do'.
    I just can't motivate myself at all to get all this work done, I can't plan all singing all dancing lessons because I simply don't have the time. In some cases there is literally nothing available in school at all so I have to create it all myself.
    Is anyone else struggling to keep motivated? I want a life and to not have to think about school all the time, including when I am asleep!!!

2. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I am sorry but it is totally wrong for the remainder of your department to be allowed to use the department lessons but you are being made to create new ones. You are a NQT with enough on your plate as it is.
    Are you making the best use of resources available online such as on TES resources and other places. I take loads of my ideas and lesson plans from online teacher resource banks and tweak them. I teach Health and Social Care and it was only introduced at the school this year so there are no resources etc for me to use so I am also designing everything from scratch. But I use all the resources I can get my hands online and I also use the BTEC resources book which has loads of worksheets I can just photocopy.
    If I was in your position I would question why the remainder of the department can use the resources that are so bad? If you asked another teacher in your department for their resources I am sure they would give them to you.

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Me, me! I am tired of leaving school at 6pm with a stack of work still to do that keeps me busy until midnight. I want my life back! Roll on summer holidays I say.