1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lacking in charisma . . .

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Lilybett, Nov 15, 2011.

1. I'm in my third week of my NQT post. My observations haven't started yet (urgh) but I'm sure I'll get the same and worse. It's tiredness! When you're absolutely knackered, you just feel and act flat. And when you have an impossible workload to do, everything starts to slip and your lessons simply can't be planned in as much detail and they start to get flat, too. And you know they're not as engaging as they could be, if you had the time to dedicate to your planning. And you know the kids know the lessons aren't that exciting. This makes you flat, too. So, really, this isn't advice as much as sympathy. But here's hoping that when everything is not so new and scary and we're not doing everything for the first time anymore, we can have more sleep, more of a life and be able to pour loads more creativity back into our planning. I am DEFINITELY in the 'survival stage'. I know I'm thinking about what I'M doing - because I'm working so hard just to get through the day and week - when I should be fixed on the chn's learning. I know that's bad and I suppose it's good to identify it but it shouldn't be like this at all.
    When I was training, I had a mentor who (was really LOVELY, but!) used to tell me what not to do without any suggestions for what to do. I got so upset about it that I just badgered and badgered him for time set aside to chat about it, and then I went on and on haha until he gave me actual examples. In the end, he made suggestions AND then I observed how HE did them with the class. This was BRILLIANT - no room for breakdowns in communications at all, so precise and helpful - and no way he could have suggested anything he wouldn't have been bothered to try himself. I know it depends on your relationship with your mentor, but if at all possible, ask to see them put the suggestions into effect themselves. Good luck!

2. It is difficult when you are workinmg in your non-native language, some of us struggle with our own language let alone having to work in another!
    If you are secondary - talk to the drama teacher and get some help for voice projection tone and quality.
    Try recording yourself in lessons and listening to how you sound - then think that you are 'on the radio' where you only have your voice to communicate - listen to people on the radio and concentrate on how they use tone and pitch to convey excitement etc. Try to copy them but not to the sort of extreme that they use.
    Remember that your body - face hands etc. are also essential in communicating with children so practice with a mirror talking as if there was a class in front of you and seeing how your expression changes.
    James

3. rusmus

rusmus New commenter

Thank you all for taking the time to reply and for being so constructive.
    I have done some observations in my mentor's classes. It is very inspiring and I have been thinking about how to use my voice more.
    I will definitely contact my drama department to see if they can help with projection. However, gestures are banned! I have to do the lessons entirely in French but no gestures to 'confuse' the students.
    I can only have a go and see if all these ideas work.
    However, it is true that I am exhausted and today was one of my most tiring days yet. No excuse I know, especially as all the other NQTs are really tired too.
    Thanks again!

4. Gestures are banned?! What? Fully TL and no gestures sound like a recipe for failure of comprehensible input.