1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lacking confidence in assessing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, Apr 9, 2012.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I don't know why but I lack confidence in 'moving children on' assessment wise. I know this sounds a little odd. I do my assessments but worry that i'm moving them on too quickly, or have some how got my assessments wrong and have given them the wrong level. As a result of this I think I am probably a harsh marker... but on the other hand, it's not a good thing in my case because it looks like my children haven't made progress if I don't move them on. An example of this is my writing assessments, i've just assessed my top 3 writers all of whom have most if not all of level 2 highlighted, and some highlighting in level 3... and if someone were to ask me, i think I could point out examples in their writing for each thing i've highlighted... so why do I feel worried that these children aren't a 2A?! Is it normal at this point in the year to have some children working at level 2A in year 2? I'm hoping that one or two of them will be 3C by the end of the year? I don't really know why i've posted this, I think I just needed to let it out and have a bit of reassurance that what i'm doing is right! lol 8)

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If they have most/all of level 2 and bits from level 3 then they are definitely a level 2a, if this is normal and consistent in their writing. And of course that all those things are present in all pieces, more or less.

If they have all of level 2 and some of level 3 highlighted and you are sure they can do those things consistently and independently, then there is no reason for them not to be a 3c now.

I have a fair number of my year 2 children at 2a and 3c in writing now, thankfully my school is massively big on moderation and so their levels are checked and I am believed. Reading is similar. I just need to move the maths on now!

3. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Well that's reassuring! It is evident in their books as well as in the specific independent pieces i'm looking at. I do have a moderation meeting coming up, but unfortunately can't take every single book lol. I'm definitely not bold or confident enough to put anyone on a 3c and don't think mine are quite there yet but given that I currently have a few 2As (according to my assessments lol) I might get there. The part that gets me is that one child can write quite a boring piece but still have the elements he needs to get a 2A, and another child writes a lively piece with lots of lovely language and still comes out as a 2A, there just seems to me to be so many different ways you can be a 2A and I suppose that's why I get confused!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would suggest taking some of your 'good' 2as to the meeting and seeing what your colleagues think, especially those in KS2. And then taking any that you aren't too sure about to get other people's perspective.

I took a couple of 3c sets to my last one and a level 1a because I wanted her to be a 2c really, but wasn't sure she had enough elements.

5. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

That's a good idea, I do have one borderline 3C in my opinion so it would be interesting to see what others thought. It just seems to me that children can have very very different elements and still be the same level, when even though you read them, one seems better than the other! Grrr APP!