1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lack of transparency in adverts

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by synetos, Feb 17, 2020.

1. synetos

synetos New commenter

Does anyone else find it totally annoying when international schools refuse to specifically state a salary for a post.

Effectively you are forced to complete a 20 page application form waffling on about the education philosophy of teaching prancing unicorns and then providing a blood sample and urine test after 5 rounds of interviews to then be told you got the job and the salary is tuppence a month.

Teachallover likes this.
  2. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Yes, very annoying. I've always said this, but people say 'well if they mentioned the salary, they wouldn't get any applicants.' What these schools don't seem to realize is that they're wasting their OWN time too, by not coming clean with divulging the salary to begin with. I suppose there are places, however, that like to 'negotiate.' If the salary of the school hasn't been out in the open, then I've (politely) asked for figures by the end of the 2nd interview. Saves time and effort all-round!

Teachallover likes this.
  3. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

Email and ask. I always used to polite ask them, saying I had a mortgage that I needed to pay and wanted to check their excellent job was possible financially.

grdwdgrrrl and Kartoshka like this.
  4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yup, it happens a lot. The best thing to do is RESEARCH. Good schools pay well and scummy schools don't.

5. Interista

Interista New commenter

Do your research and ask a lot of questions. Sadly a lot of schools try it on. I've met people employed in one role and when they turn up they're given loads of extra roles that that weren't part of the deal and with no extra money.

6. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Search Associates are very transparent on their database. you would be very stupid not to join, especially since its free if you hold a UK address.

7. Interista

Interista New commenter

Really? I thought you had to pay for them?

8. Luvsskiing

"you would be very stupid not to join"

You would be very stupid to join.

They require an incredible amount of personal official documentation just to register. This could be used to set up fake IDs by unscrupulous employees. When I had a look at registering with them, there were no details regarding any safeguards put in place with respect to the data they collect, so one had to assume there were none. A more suspicious person then me might suggest that that is why it is "free" to register.

Everyone needs to be very careful handing over copies of their documents ***** nilly.

Teachallover likes this.
  9. Luvsskiing

Can't we say 'willie' here?

Willie willie willie willie willie willie willie willie willie willie willie willie willie willie willie willie willie willie willie willie willie willie willie willie willie willie willie willie willie

Scunthorpe.

10. dumbbells66

If you want to miss out on all the top schools and a database used by 100,000's of people each year to find decent international jobs then go ahead. I've been a member for over a decade and never had an issue, or ever heard of anyone having an issue. I stand by my statement, you would be stupid not to join.

Its only free for brits because its illegal in the UK to charge for these services. People from all over the world have to pay well over $300 every 2 or 3 years to be part of it.

11. lolly77

lolly77 New commenter

I know of a couple of schools that are on Search that can't possibly be classed as a 'top school' ... not sure how stringent the checks are on schools that join!!!

12. GeordieKC

GeordieKC Occasional commenter

If a school does not give relevant information then ask! A school that is not interested in recruiting staff with an understanding of the school, is unlikely to be somewhere I would enjoy working.

A company that charges teachers to register, costs schools a small fortune per appointment, provides next to no individual advice or support and that appears to do very few checks; Is that really a model we should be supporting as the best recruitment organisation?

13. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Ask schools what they pay. If they hesitate to give you an answer, politely say that you shall not be progressing your application.

14. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Some sensible advice from moscowbore.

15. dumbbells66

yep, there are good and bad schools everywhere, that is highly evident by some of the utter trash that is constantly advertising on TES and the other "agencies" out there. what you do have to consider is that the British curriculum is nowhere near the largest employer out there, and the vast majority of IB school, American, etc use Search or Schrole. they do not advertise on TES.

if you want a drastically reduced pool of schools to choose from then go ahead and avoid the main players in the international scene.

16. 2393ka

2393ka New commenter

I have seen some exceptions to that

In kuwait the British schools pay more than the in world schools. Also, the same in qatar and maybe the rest of the middle east.

In saudi, the ib school linked to the university pays the best it seems in middle east along with the saudi school linked to the pilot company. Other than that the british schools compete with the rest in the middle east. That's how it seems when you check the search database.

It seems like IB schools pay better in other parts of the world like africa and china.

17. 2393ka

2393ka New commenter

Not the pilot company, the oil company

18. dumbbells66

there are only a few British schools that come even close. what you got to remember is that there are significantly more IB schools around the world than British schools, therefore greater chance of employment.

19. 2393ka

2393ka New commenter

I agree with that.

Would you be able to start a conversation with me if possible? I still cant start conversations

20. twisty08

twisty08 New commenter

Forget Search. What's the top salary offered on there? Chicken feed.

I started on a poor salary (UK and Europe) before moving on to a mediocre salary (Angola).

It wasn't until I moved on to using agencies like Tutors International that I started making real money. I wouldn't get out of bed for my Angolan salary these days.

I spend most of the year in Spain enjoying the Mediterranean lifestyle and being paid like a proper professional.