1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lack of support

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by MrsTraineeTeach, May 19, 2012.

1. I need advice! [​IMG]
    I'm currently completing an Early Years PGCE in a year 2 and I have 3 weeks left.
    This is my final placement and although I really enjoy teaching and the children are lovely, I feel totally unsupported by my class teacher (who is my school based mentor) I feel abandoned, she always leaves the class when I teach and either disappears completely or pops in and out to get books and whatnot. I feel awful because she is a lovely person (although I don't know if she likes me very much) I need so much more support as previous placements were all early years which is my comfort zone and where I want to end up, so coming to a whole new curriculum and doing the block with 80% teaching almost straight away has been very difficult. I have been there for 5 weeks and haven't been officially observed by the class teacher once, I have had 1 observation from my university based mentor and he was satisfied (although didn't get any specific grade- didn't suggest cause for concern or anything, he actually laughed it off when I suggested it, so can't be too bad I guess) I don't personally feel I have really made much progress and I'm worried it will get to the last week and I'll end up failing or having to extend because I have no official observations! I get support with initial planning (i.e objectives to cover and a few ideas) but it's the actual teaching I am worried about and assessments, I get the feeling she thinks I'm rubbish and on the next tutor visit he'll get told all I should fail. Would she contact the university if she thought that? I feel a little thrown in with little guidance!
    I have tried to evidence things myself for the QTS standards so that if there is an issue they can't be refuted because there is evidence, but not sure where to turn! I just want to get these last 3 weeks done and dusted and get back to early years. The countdown is on.
    Help! :(

2. I need advice! [​IMG]
    I'm currently completing an Early Years PGCE in a year 2 and I have 3 weeks left.
    This is my final placement and although I really enjoy teaching and the children are lovely, I feel totally unsupported by my class teacher (who is my school based mentor) I feel abandoned, she always leaves the class when I teach and either disappears completely or pops in and out to get books and whatnot. I feel awful because she is a lovely person (although I don't know if she likes me very much) I need so much more support as previous placements were all early years which is my comfort zone and where I want to end up, so coming to a whole new curriculum and doing the block with 80% teaching almost straight away has been very difficult. I have been there for 5 weeks and haven't been officially observed by the class teacher once, I have had 1 observation from my university based mentor and he was satisfied (although didn't get any specific grade- didn't suggest cause for concern or anything, he actually laughed it off when I suggested it, so can't be too bad I guess) I don't personally feel I have really made much progress and I'm worried it will get to the last week and I'll end up failing or having to extend because I have no official observations! I get support with initial planning (i.e objectives to cover and a few ideas) but it's the actual teaching I am worried about and assessments, I get the feeling she thinks I'm rubbish and on the next tutor visit he'll get told all I should fail. Would she contact the university if she thought that? I feel a little thrown in with little guidance!
    I have tried to evidence things myself for the QTS standards so that if there is an issue they can't be refuted because there is evidence, but not sure where to turn! I just want to get these last 3 weeks done and dusted and get back to early years. The countdown is on.
    Help! :(

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Mentors and classteachers can't win sometimes! I bet within the next couple of weeks, on here, final placement trainees complain their class teacher never ever leaves them alone to teach and is always hovering and offering advice. Those trainees also believe their mentor things they are hopeless because they are never left alone.

I can completely reassure you that, if there was any concern about your ability to teach, your mentor wouldn't be leaving you alone with the class. When they pop in and out they are observing you, albeit unofficially, and would stay if they felt there was a problem. They would also have told you by now.

Tell your mentor you need an official observation and make a date to do it. She is probably totally unaware you feel this way. Tell her also that you are worried about failing because you haven't had year 2 before and wonder how she thinks you are getting on. I bet you anything she will say you are worrying over nothing (as we are all wont to do) and feel terrible that you think this way.

4. Thank you for the reply! I know I have a friend in that position and she said she feels stifled. Perhaps it depends on the personality! I think I work better if I know someone is watching, it's not that I don't try when she's not there but sometimes I feel like a supply teacher! (and have been actually!)My CT knows I have only been in EY before, I don't really like to complain as she is a great teacher and perhaps just has too much on to have a student in.
    I will try and pin her down to for a formal observation next week, part of me feels I'm taking up her time as she is so busy as it is. I worry I am not doing things I should be, I've got a deadline for assessment and profiling files to be in and that's it really! Perhaps I should just embrace it and be happy to have the freedom, I think I miss the team of early years and this seems a bit more of a solo affair I don't get on with the team as well as I have previously (not that we don't get on, just that not as much as I have in the past) so that's another hurdle.
    Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. 3 weeks to go!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

When I talk to our FS staff, I know I would hate to work the way they do, with little or no autonomy in my own classroom. They, on the other hand, feel more the way you seem to do. It is just a different way of working.

6. Hi there
    I thought I would reply as am in a similar situation. I'm in a Y2 classon my final placement with 5 weeks to go. My mentor/class teacher is never in the class unless she's observing me, which is twice a week, and although she does the required amount of observations she never gives me the paperwork. I get minimal feedback whenever I pin her down. She's just so incredibly busy with SATS and moderation, and is very stressed.
    It did bother me a bit, but then I thought back to my first placement in which my mentor was totally the opposite - never left me alone and didn't really allow me to try anything different in his class. And then I realised that actually this experience, although hard, is a beneficial one in that I basically have this class, and am learning so much more. It is actually quite nice to be in charge of the class and not have someone watching you all the time - it has made me more relaxed and given me more confidence to try new things. And I am building some good relationships with the children. They are starting to feel like mine, and I know I will miss them terribly when I finish! So I am enjoying the freedom.
    Good luck ! Not long now for both of us.

7. Thanks for the reply.
    I think it's just because I don't feel too confident yet. There was no gentle break in for me it was pretty much just 'here you go, bye!'I I am just going to get on and have said to myself that this week will be my best yet, I'm really going to step up and improve for the last few weeks!
    We can do this! :)

8. I much prefer to be on my own actually. I decided to do the register in pirate speak one afternoon in preparation for their summer concert singing session, and then the TA walked in. I kept it going, and then she said at the end of the day 'that was brilliant!'
    When you're on your own you can try new things, and they just feel like 'yours'. When the teacher is there, I often feel more uncomfortable just because she knows the class so much better. Though, she's watched me plenty of times and never has much to say.