1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lack of supply work are we going about it the wrong way?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Timberwolf, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Hi there, Not been on for a while, Have had some supply generally this year and I suppose that I have earned the equivilent of minimum wage over the school year.
    However ther is still the case of a lot of work being taken by cover supervisors. So maybe we are going about it the wrong way. Qualified teachers are not getting the supply work because CSs are cheaper, (from £60 to £95 per day depending on which rip off agency you are talking about).
    What made me think was that I was at an interview last week with 7 NQTs except that they hadn't had NQT status confirmed as they had only qualified the week before. Now one of these NQTs was shooting off at the mouth saying that in the week after "she" left college she had had work every day as a CS in schools. (How can you get a CRB in a week?), the agency will remain nameless.
    So Schools as well are willing to take on teachers as CSs. Now in the past we have, or a lot of us, refused to take on CS work as we are qualified teachers. But I'm beginning to think that every Teacher, (while not ignoring actual teaching work), should take on as much CS work as they can. The school will prefer to have a teacher working cheap, except you aren't, as you do not teach, and with any luck we can squeeze the unqualified numptys out of the supply work area all together.
    We certainly need to do something as I have had it from a teacher I know well that they were called to do a CS post and were so strapped for cash they took it. When they got there was told by the HoD that the teacher they were covering for had been off long term. This school had been covering by using different CSs.
    Be most interesting to see what you all think. All the best for a pennyless summer.

2. Hi there, Not been on for a while, Have had some supply generally this year and I suppose that I have earned the equivilent of minimum wage over the school year.
    However ther is still the case of a lot of work being taken by cover supervisors. So maybe we are going about it the wrong way. Qualified teachers are not getting the supply work because CSs are cheaper, (from £60 to £95 per day depending on which rip off agency you are talking about).
    What made me think was that I was at an interview last week with 7 NQTs except that they hadn't had NQT status confirmed as they had only qualified the week before. Now one of these NQTs was shooting off at the mouth saying that in the week after "she" left college she had had work every day as a CS in schools. (How can you get a CRB in a week?), the agency will remain nameless.
    So Schools as well are willing to take on teachers as CSs. Now in the past we have, or a lot of us, refused to take on CS work as we are qualified teachers. But I'm beginning to think that every Teacher, (while not ignoring actual teaching work), should take on as much CS work as they can. The school will prefer to have a teacher working cheap, except you aren't, as you do not teach, and with any luck we can squeeze the unqualified numptys out of the supply work area all together.
    We certainly need to do something as I have had it from a teacher I know well that they were called to do a CS post and were so strapped for cash they took it. When they got there was told by the HoD that the teacher they were covering for had been off long term. This school had been covering by using different CSs.
    Be most interesting to see what you all think. All the best for a pennyless summer.

3. But, as experience goes to show, schools to do like to take teachers as LAs and CSs. Would like to be in a room with another qualified teacher?

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

to albertdog
    Would you like to be in the classtoom with another ualified teacher?
    I don't think I've got much option now after 16 years on supply applying for job and a total of 7 interviews! I've said I would start looking at any TA, CS posts if I hadn't got a post by Sept. and now with govt. changes I've now got years extra till my pension kicks in I've just got to be realistic. Probably will get a kick-back there and told I'm 'overqualified!'.

5. Sorry, Lara, I did not make my meaning clear. I was thinking that one reason the schools did not employ qualified teachers as CS & TA was that the regular staff would not like us in there classes with them.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I may well bow out at the end of this term. Mr Jubilee is hoping for voluntary redundancy soon and I'm fed up of putting my life on hold for sporadic supply work that probably generates less than some Yr 10 and 11 puils are getting in pocket money + evening and weekend jobs.
    I won't work for CS rates as it's so much less than my scale rate (I only do LA paid teaching). If they want staff on the cheap, I'd rather they got in unqualified people and suffered the effects eventually in league table positions and even worse behaviour (is that even possible?)
    We have a bankrupt education system, folks, and I'm not talking economics! I won't be exploited to keep it teetering on. I get enough disrespect from pupils for being 'just the supply' without letting the school disrespect me too by capitalising on my academic excellence and versatility on the cheap.