1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lack of sleep

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Mr_Beetroot, Jan 16, 2012.

1. I'm currently on my final year placement on the BA 3 yr route.

I'm finding it really difficult to sleep. I wake up most nights between 3-5am because I'm worried my lessons will go badly and I can't get back to sleep. I also find it difficult to drift off for the same reason.

Has anyone else had any similar problems or any advice for me?

2. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

I feel for you - I have this problem sometimes. Last night was dreadful! I used to be a big reader but feel like I should be reading history books to top up my subject knowledge these days ... then my mind goes into overdrive thinking about content and lesson ideas. Falling asleep in front of the telly now works for me, but I'm really struggling I'll listen to a podcast of some sort. I think you need to find something that takes your mind off teaching but doesn't overstimulate ... easier said than done!

3. I had the same sort of problem on my last placement - I felt bad taking time out from my paperwork to eat!
    The night this happened I sat down and decided that I had to put a limit on what I was doing so I set a time that I would stop working at each day and take time away from teaching. It was hard at first but eventually I realized that it's part of teachers life to have and endless to do list and feel that you need to do more but if you do you'll just exhaust yourself which will undoubtedly have a negative effect on your teaching.
    Make sure you make time at least three times a week for you - it doesn't have to be huge half an hour reading before bed or something similar to help you cool down.

4. Absolutely.
    I'm a perfectionist and a really hard worker. When I was on my final placement, I worked a 70 hour week because I wanted everything to be perfect.
    Now I'm an NQT and I've realised that if I can't do that for my whole career.
    In fact, I had a supply in the other day who was a retired teacher. He told me about a friend of his who was really conscientous. He said she was an amazing teacher but she worked so hard that after a number of years she had a nervous breakdown. His one piece of advice to me was "If you want a career for life, you need to pace yourself".
    I will never finish everything that needs to be done so it's a matter of prioritising. I don't work through lunch and I will only take 6 books home to mark each night. Aside from that, I won't take any work home.
    Your class teacher should understand this and they won't be expecting you to work all hours of the day and night.