1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lack of school places

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chelsea2, Sep 13, 2018.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

This problem will not be unique to my area!

I have been helping friends who have just moved into this LA to apply for school places for their daughters - both secondary. Talking to one of the school admissions' officers while the parents completed the forms, she said they had had 2000 applications for school places over the summer. That's 2000 additional school places to find, out of the normal application and allocation windows. I realise that some people may have moved out of the county, but the rate of house-building means movement is almost entirely one way.

We're an average sized county, a few towns, and many, many small villages - no different from many other shires. We're on the edges of London commuterland (takes an hour or so by train). So I imagine this is being replicated across much of England.

And we are desperately short of secondary places especially.

In 2016, with 40,000 new houses to be built by 2021, there were plans for 26 new schools across the county, 5 of which were to be secondary. That would still leave the county 4 schools short.

I won't even go there with staffing.......

One of my friends' daughters has been allocated a place at an inadequate school 4 miles away across town, involving a bus into the centre and a bus out. Her parents have no car. We are still waiting to hear about the older girl - I guess she may be placed in a different school.

But 2000 places to find over the summer!!!

agathamorse likes this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

This sound very similar to my area... and similar problems.

City population has gone up 60,000~ and they're building more and more new homes. Not actually sure there are the teacher numbers to sustain the growth.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Argh!

Don't.

My daughter has just been gobsmacked to be faced with demands to get my grandson sorted out. He's only just started YR6 but she's no time to decide. And one school has asked for an admissions test! And, believe me, I've just checked the OFSTEDs for all the local secondary schools and they don't make for pretty reading. So we're not talking The Elite School For Elitists here.

(Not that I give OFSTED much credit but you have to start somewhere.)

agathamorse likes this.
  4. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

We have a year group that was very very large and completely swamped the local primaries when they started a couple of years ago leaving loads of kids with problems getting places - that one's going to be fun when it goes up to secondary too (especially with the number of housing developments they're whacking up all around here).

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

There is masses of building in our village. They have doubled the size of one of the primaries, giving 180 odd new places, but there are no plans to do anything so far at the high school. It has a small amount of spare capacity, and then what will happen? All the local secondaries are full, because there is mad house building everywhere.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We moved to this house four years ago. A local infant school became a primary and moved to a brand new school on the estate. It has now reached year 6 and is thoroughly primary. They are using temporary buildings and there are 12 car park spaces. House building will continue for a couple more years, as well as another housing development across the main road, for which this one will be the nearest school.

agathamorse and tiger8 like this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

I am assuming that's what is going on where my daughter lives.

Grandson been in YR6 a week and daughter is being pressured to apply now. Get it done NOW. Everyone is in a right panic! Clearly it's a known problem but I think she's buried her head in the sand a bit.

Add to that the fact that her area includes one of the most notorious schools in the country! :eek::eek::eek:

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Round our way it makes no difference when you apply, as long as you've done it by the closing date. I'm sure your daughter doesn't need to panic.

agathamorse and chelsea2 like this.
  9. grumpydogwoman

Thanks @Doitforfree

I shall try to reassure her. I just hope he gets to go where they want him to go. Or where he wants to go.

Oh, soddit. Just some school that isn't a zoo. Unlike the one he could easily walk to. This one! This one is perhaps the closest to him! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 17.09.28.png

agathamorse likes this.
  10. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Ah, yes - E-Act. Know it well. Worked for it. 'Nuff said.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. Sir_Henry

Sir_Henry Occasional commenter

Thisproblem will not be unique to my area!

It isn't and it is a good reason why England needs to control its borders better and actively discourage breeding by eliminating child benefits.

12. grumpydogwoman

chelsea2 likes this.
  13. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

I've got to do our junior school transfer application this year and I'm dreading it - we're out of catchment for the infants they're at and our local school is a really really crud academy I moved the kids out of.

Of course first I need to find out what name the school is down on the LEA stuff as this year as it's constantly being changed how exactly it describes itself.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  14. grumpydogwoman

Crikey. Yes!

Wat is it with names @ABCCBA123321 ???

Different websites (say you just want to find out secondary schools within 3 miles of a particular postcode) have all sorts of names. Then links to OFSTED. And the links don't work. Then there are schools with very similar names.

They're constantly renaming schools round here too!

15. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

This. Surely. Unless you’re going private.