1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lack of respect in Y5

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by ringslord4455, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Hi there, just need some advice:

I am a TA and Midday Supervisor in Year 5 and have only been there for 8 weeks. The TA part of the job is fine, it's dealing with some of the children during lunchtime. When I first started, the class seemed to listen to me, but now, there are 4 or 5 children who just seem to lack a massive amount of respect for me and ignore me when I try to give them instruction. It's generally when we are lining up to go in for school dinners and when lining up to go back to class. They are loud, disruptive, constantly messing around in the line and when I try to talk to them or ask them be quiet and polite they tend to ignore me like I'm not there! It's really getting to me. I had to raise my voice so loud today just to get them to listen to me. Any advice on how to deal with children like this?

Thanks in advance

2. Respect? Forget it. What these young people lack most obviously is manners.
    They're just plain rude.
    Others will have to come up with strategies for your circumstances. I only tutor one-on-one, so setting a standard and keeping to it is straightforward. I'm not much help to you on that one.
    But get it clear in your own mind that you don't really care what they might think of you privately, what matters is how they behave publicly.

3. What kind of punishments are there available? Ignoring you is very disrespectful and needs to be dealt with. Maybe make sure that they miss 5 minutes of lunchtime for every time they are rude - obviously you can't send them to the classroom to wreak havoc but can you keep them in a certain area of the playground? If they miss enough time and see that their actions result in consequences then it should hopefully get better. you say they are fine in class time within your role as TA - are they just generally disrespectful of all midday supervisors, not just yourself? If that is the case maybe class teacher/ head needs to remind the class and others how all adults should be spoken too. hope that helps! x