1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lack of motivation...

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by anon261, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Please help me!
    I'm resitting my As levels in May and i've got to P2 and have completely lost my motivation! grrrrr
    This is something i really wanted to do for myself and i feel even worse because i'm teacher trained and should be able to motivate my students - so why can't i motivate myself?!
    Grrrrr

G24

2. Please help me!
    I'm resitting my As levels in May and i've got to P2 and have completely lost my motivation! grrrrr
    This is something i really wanted to do for myself and i feel even worse because i'm teacher trained and should be able to motivate my students - so why can't i motivate myself?!
    Grrrrr

G24

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

To be quite cynical about it, because you do not get paid to motivate yourself.
    I am learning to play Spanish guitar. I am at the stage where I know how badly I suck at playing guitar, and it is a pain in the posterior to carry on practising, but that is what I do because I have no alternative if I want to get beyond the I-seriously-suck-at-playing-guitar stage.
    Decide if it is really all that worthwhile to you. If not then forget about it.

4. In the dark days, set yourself little targets and treat yourself when you achieve them gilbert24.
    Another thing that's worth doing is swapping the medium through which you're working and going back over stuff. Your brain doesn't really work in a lineal way, you need to recap and see things differently.
    This happens more naturally in a classroom situation when you end up explaining things to other people.
    So if you're working from a textbook, swap to mymaths (get your school's codes) and vice versa. Go right back over P1 (skipping rapidly through anything you find really easy) and go as far as you can into P2. Then swap back to your original teaching method, picking up where you are now.
    lol weebecka

5. Constantly remind yourself why you want to pass, and visualise how good you'll feel when you do pass. There's a lot of NLP stuff on self motivation which involves thinking of a time when you felt really motivated and applying it to studying.
    As a side note, I find that when I excersise (in my case go for a big swim) and think positive thoughts about what ever I'm feeling negative or unmotivated about, after the swim I feel really motivated and energised. This might sound unrelated but I'm surprised at the difference it makes. [​IMG]

6. P2 or C2?
    Re motivation? You are asking a forum of maths teachers to be psychologists.
    My bottom line. If you dont want to do it, find something you do want to do.
    On a different note, the ability to get pupils to work is a different skill to motivating yourself.

7. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Why are you doing this? Just because you really wanted to do this for yourself? Anything else? If you cannot motivate yourself for those reasons, why bother in the first place? Presumably you don't *have* to do your A-levels again?

8. Thank you for all of your advice.
    This one worked best - I spent the entire day doing hundreds of questions from an online source instead of using my text book and not only has the one thing I was struggling on clicked, but because I gave the full day to maths I've definately found my motivation again! - Back on track!! (and with already have achieved 97% 99% and 94% in my assessments I should be aiming for a decent grade too!!)
    PS I am not a quitter!!!
    G24

9. Clearly not!
    [​IMG]
    you have earned a [​IMG] enjoy!