1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lack of motivation and negative behaviour Year 9 Research

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by zo333, Nov 8, 2017.

1. zo333

zo333 New commenter

I am doing some research on the reasons Year 9's have a lack of motivation and why negative behavior becomes more of a problem?
    I am a Design & Technology teacher my research is based on Year 9's having made choices about their GCSE's which may not include D&T and so feel that the whole year is a waste of time.
    We do not seem to celebrate the achievements gained up until this point, the effort put in previously sits gathering dust in an old exercise book forgotten; unless they continue and take it as a GCSE.
    Year 9 is based largely it seems to me on the high achievement within compulsory subjects.
    Have you noticed a lack of motivation and negativity in your Year 9's when they were previously doing so well in Year 8?
    Why do you think this is?
    Do you know of any other research carried out on this subject?
    Any help would be gratefully received. I desperately need to carry out some reading on this subject but it is proving difficult.

Thank you in advance!

2. RuthTom

RuthTom New commenter

I think the very early emphasis on the importance of GCSEs might be a problem. My own dd is becoming increasingly jaded in year 8 as teachers have started talking about them already, showing them good exam answers and every teacher's subject is the most important one. It is good to have high standards, but is would be very refreshing to step away from the exam factory mode and focus on developing skills simply to achieve a certain level of mastery. I think it is almost seen as frivolous!

tonymars likes this.
  3. saluki

saluki Established commenter

Twas ever thus.
    I can remember the old third year being a 'naughty' year before buckling down to work for O levels in the 4th and 5th year. The lower 6th was considered to be an easy year where we all had a bit of a doss after O levels and buckled down for a levels in the upper sixth. No such things as AS levels in those days.
    We chose to do a subject such as art DT, music, cookery, needlework and worked hard in our chosen subject. Actually, I worked hard in all of those subjects because I enjoyed them and they were a break from academia.
    The big difference was: if we didn't work and misbehaved the staff were on our backs. We respected our staff and did as we were told. Any sustained problems were referred to the head teacher and to parents. OMG!!!! The very last thing that we wanted was for our parents to be involved.:mad: Parents supported the school in those days OMG!!

4. zo333

zo333 New commenter

Thank you for your input. This will all help with my research. I agree that we spend too much time focusing on GCSE's and not measuring the effort and skills gained. It is always a good thing if the parents can work with the school and life is definitely made more difficult if they do not.
    Once again thank you for your support.

5. amerritt3

amerritt3 New commenter

I am at a school where the year 9's are mixed ability, so it's quite interesting to see the difference. I think this can help to motivate some students, especially the "lower ability" who I have noticed do attempt to aim higher in this setting (I am quite new to teaching, so this is just one small observation). It does mean that you have to ensure you are still stretching the "high ability" students. However, I think this is an interesting tactic that you could consider in your research- if mixed ability sets could increase or decrease the motivation.