1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lack of food ingredients

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by hantssheep, Mar 5, 2011.

1. My apologies if this thread has been done before but we are having big problems with students not bringing in food ingredients. We have started charging £5 a year for all D&T subjects so students can take stuff home but this wouldn't even touch the food practical stuff. Plus they get to take the food home to eat! possibly for tea/dinner. We also provide store cupboard basics if needed but normally charge 10p per item.
    Need some help/advice on what others do when students don't bring in their ingredients. We do operate a two strikes then detention but this is not really suitable for KS4.
    Any ideas?

2. My apologies if this thread has been done before but we are having big problems with students not bringing in food ingredients. We have started charging £5 a year for all D&T subjects so students can take stuff home but this wouldn't even touch the food practical stuff. Plus they get to take the food home to eat! possibly for tea/dinner. We also provide store cupboard basics if needed but normally charge 10p per item.
    Need some help/advice on what others do when students don't bring in their ingredients. We do operate a two strikes then detention but this is not really suitable for KS4.
    Any ideas?

3. Don't let them help friends. sit them down away from others and give them the recipe and method to copy out and extention questions to do. On second occasion, either write or phone home. Key is that they don't enjoy the lesson!

4. Agree with Sue about making the lesson less enjoyable and contacting parents, possibly set up a standard letter in your office so you only have to hand in names. BUT, be very careful with the work you set. If it is work that the pupils who did cook will have to do, they could see it also as a punishment. Remember, writing and theory lessons are a part of the course that all should do, so they shouldn't be used to punish groups.

5. We treat it in a similar way to PE when kit is forgotten
    1st offence they copy out safty & hygiene rules
    2nd offence - letter home & a break dt - more boring copying out
    3rd afterschool 30min detention & name added to list of students who should NOT opt for food in KS4. If a letter comes in with a reasonable excuse we may let them help in the lesson.
    Have to say there are not many who get pass the 2nd offence
    OJ

6. At Ks3 we charge students £6.00. Ingredients are all weighed out prior. A few parents opt to supply own ingredients.They are on a carousel.Children on FSM should be provided with ingredients for free.You have a budget and it should support these children as well as providing equipment etc... I think a lot depends on the child's circumstances,. It is morally wrong to sanction a child whose mother is a drug addict for example and will not buy ingredients. A lot depends on the childs individual circumstances. I noticed there was a correlation between children who do not bring ingredients in as a precusor to serious issues at home. This in 50% of hard, long term ,no ingredient cases was an early indicator that social services would be involved later...At ks4 students opting for it paid £10 a term with a practical a week. Again those that did not pay had bad issues at home and usually I would support rather than sanction because they feel bad enough about it anyway. Inclusion rather than exclusion. When students were taking the ... a phonecall home usually meant money was forthcoming.The whole purpose of practicals is to teach skills and if the students misses out there is nothing to build on.

7. I think the key is the reason why they are not bringing their ingredients in. DATA refer to it as social exclusion, and are of the opinion that no child should be subject to it. In an ideal world schools would provide ingredients for all students regardless of background. After all we are meant to be providing a free education to students in this country (HAHA...sorry amused myself there!)
    As a more useful response students who are lazy or disinterested should be dealt with as mentioned above. But if their are 'reasons' for it then I think you should provide the ingredients for those students. I know funding is an issue in all schools, but it very often doesn;'t have to come out of the FT budget. Find out if there is a hardship fund or similar available.