1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lack of engagement at KS3

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by moredrama, Mar 19, 2012.

1. I need to revamp our KS3 curriculum and I would like to know how other drama teachers get around the lack of engagement from...
    Classes with low social skills.
    Yr 8 girls who are perfectly able but just claim to be shy.
    We currently teach lots of skills based units (masks, Greek theatre, mime, scriptwriting etc). Any suggestions?

2. I need to revamp our KS3 curriculum and I would like to know how other drama teachers get around the lack of engagement from...
    Classes with low social skills.
    Yr 8 girls who are perfectly able but just claim to be shy.
    We currently teach lots of skills based units (masks, Greek theatre, mime, scriptwriting etc). Any suggestions?

3. Steer clear of performing for a while, at least performing to the whole group. Build confidence slowly with drama games which move the spotlight of attention rapidly from one to another, in simple speaking and moving tasks.
    Create a curriculum on having fun and doing stuff the Y8 Girls want to do... maybe ask them to help you devise the curriculum?

4. aoconnor334

aoconnor334 New commenter

I would also try and find more theme/issue based work for them. Something they can really get their teeth into. I was struggling with year 9 boys until this year when I revamped the course to include a docu-drama. The theme was knife crime, we used script extracts, devised theatre, research, discussed issues around the theme such as community, friendship and grief and the pupils then used cameras to film their docu-dramas. Logistically it has been HARD. But worth it to see both boys and girls engaged and loving it!! Whilst I agree that that they need to learn the skills I try to incorporate the skills to be used into expolring story and themes. From Quality Assurance pupil feedback, they enjoy this because 'we can think for ourselves'
    Hope that helps.

5. Just after Easter there will be a KS3 curriculum model available on the resources4drama website.
    Basically, this will give you suggested materials to teach every lesson to Years 7, 8 and 9.
    Key to the model will be engagement and progression, coupled with Dramatic skills and preparation for Key Stage 4. Assessment materials will be included as will additional support resources for teachers.
    We include Parents' evening activities, induction days / weeks for Primary transfer students, one-off lessons for Year 6 "lookarounds"..... the lot.
    If you would like details after Easter, go to the website and "Subscribe" to newsletters; you'll get a plan sent to you.
    (The materials are already available on the website; the model gathers them into a half-termly plan for the three years. The website was recently given five stars by Teaching Drama Magazine).