1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lack of Doctors

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by subman68, Oct 20, 2015.

1. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

We keep being told that the NHS could not survive without Dr/Nurses/General Staff from the EU & outwith the EU. Why do we not train more? A girl in my school wants to be a Dr. She is bright with common sense. Higher Results 4 A passes 1 B pass. She has been told that she will not be able to apply for medicine at the uni she wants to attend.

Having visited A&E recently I was worried that the Dr treating me had a very shake hold on oral English. It did not give me a great deal of confidence. I feel I would want a Dr that had 2AA 3BBB but PASSED a Scottish Uni course than someone from a country that has had major doubts raised about the standards and ethics of the majority of its Universities. (hope this is not sounding to BNP that is not the intention)

I think this is wrong. We are stopping the development of our young adults. Our Dux pupil was also told that she did not have the academic standards to study at St Andrews (science subject) This is a joke. Very bright pleasant girl (all A band 1 passes), wanted to go to St Andrews because of family links.

Scottish universities are making less places available to Scottish applicants. I understand the financial argument but if our Scottish Government really carried about our youth and future it would finance our children properly.

2. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I remember a few months back that a young girl was rejected from one or several of our "elite" universities despite meeting the entrance qualifications. If I remember right other students were accepted with the same or fewer or not-as-good qualifications. The difference? The girl in question comes from the most run-down area in Glasgow, Possilpark, and went to a sink school (can't remember which). Those pupils lucky enough to be accepted were from leafy suburbia, and went to "good" schools (again, can't remember, but probably private and the likes of St Ninian's, Williamwood and Jordanhill state schools).
    This is an educational disgrace.
    Subman, you are not being remotely racist wrt your A&E experience. Your doctor could have been the best doctor in the world but that counts for nothing if he/she can't communicate effectively. Fork handles or four candles, anyone?
    I hope your dux pupil sees this as a mere temporary setback and takes a girfuy attitude to this appalling shenanigans. I am sure she will, and tell her I said it (!). This too is an educational disgrace.

Not said this for a while but CfE has a large part in this. We are educating confident pupils to be sure but you need to remember that most idiots are supremely confident. If only we had an educational system that produced self-reliant, problem-solving pupils.

3. davieee

davieee Occasional commenter

I think there are a couple of issues here. One of them is that the population of Scotland, and the UKin general, is rising. Neither Holyrood nor Westminster seem to be willing to invest in expandng our NHS to cope with the increasing demands placed upon it. Ditto for the Legal and Education systems too.

I also think that the government should be giving every young person equal opportunity and access to training and that includes FE colleges too.

Unfortunately the present Scottish Government have screwed over FE colleges and courses (statistically benefiting poorer students) to pay for free university fee (statistically benefiting better off students).

4. brothermunro

brothermunro Occasional commenter

This is a common theme in the NHS. Doctors and nurses are becoming increasingly hard to recruit and retain so the NHS looks to 'foreign parts' for more potential employees. Yes they have 'equivalent' qualifications; but just as a degree from one UK university isn't worth the same as an identical degree from another university, a medical degree from another country may not be as rigorous as one achieved here. India for instance has rampant fraud in its higher education system. I would agree that a doctor or nurse needs to be more than just a repository of knowledge/skills, they need to be able to communicate with and care for their patients.

You can make an identical conclusion about recruiting teachers from abroad as well (which a few councils have started looking into).

The solution is very simple (to both NHS and teaching staff shortages) - better pay and conditions.

5. Potatoes005

Potatoes005 Occasional commenter

I have to know I'm dying off a fortnight in advance in order to make a valiant enough attempt at staving death off.

6. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

I have to say: good luck to the junior doctors. What a turnout for their ballot, and what a result. Here's hoping it puts an end to Greasy Jeremy's reign, although it's always a worry in case the govt. find someone evil AND competent to take his place.

7. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

As I was saying to a colleague last week, even if Hunt could talk an awful lot of junior docs out if striking, no way is anyone going to change 98% to 49%.
    Why the f u c k can't teachers do that?! Aaargh!!!

8. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

Maybe it'll give us some cojones, though I doubt anything other than, god forbid, a Gove suddenly rearing its ugly head in Scotland Education would do that.

9. Potatoes005

Potatoes005 Occasional commenter

Booked in today for next Friday - potentially could be ill by 10.10 on the 4th of December. Plus I near choked on a werthers original hurtling down the M8 earlier, so I might have trauma or burst something.

And I'm coughing.