1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lack of curriculum time and reduced coverage of KS3 books

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Petite Joueuse, Apr 27, 2011.

1. We use Echo Express and we get to the end of Book 2 by the end of Year 9.
    With the new GCSE we invested in Echo for AQA GCSE - and the first chapter was quite a shock to all of us! However, we are a grammar school with high-achieving pupils and I would say that although the GCSE book is quite a step up from Book 2, it appears to have been a good move for us. The top end have plenty of challenge, the middle ability (for us, that is the solid B candidate) have been dragged upwards, and the only ones who have really stuggled are the D/C borderlines. Having said that, some of them have produced very resepctable B/C writings, and they seem to be performing well on the Higher Readings.
    I don't know if that helps. I suppose it very much depends on the ability of the pupils.
    I should add that we have 2 hours a week for Year 10 and Year 11.

2. westnab

westnab New commenter

So why do all students study 2 languages at KS3?
    We don't follow textbooks at all. We decide on the best topics that will be most useful as background for the GCSE and focus on those in Y7 & 8 (we only have two years of KS3 X 2hrs a week). Our students don't have a very wide vocab as a result, but our results are ok, considering the lack of curriculum time we get.

3. lifereallyistooshort

lifereallyistooshort New commenter

our pupils (all abilities) also do 2 MFL in key stage 3, with only 2 years x 1.5 hours a week for the 2nd MFL. They perform in line with expectations at GCSE, ie anything from A* down to U. They do get 3 hours a week at KS4, which helps, but the biggest factor seems to be their level of ability in the first place.

4. OP surely what you are complaining about is your inability to fit a quart into a pint pot. If you were merely trying to fit pint into pint pot i.e. by doing just one language at KS3 you problem would be solved.
    I cnnot understand why schools persist in all or almost all students doing two languages. It does not foster a love of language it just adds to the aggravation of many students.

5. Hi
    sorry but I disagree. Yes it can be daunting for students to do 2 languages, but sometimes students enjoy one language more than the other and every year we have some students,who take their second MFL (for which they had less curriculum time) through to GCSE with good results. I do have to say that in years 8 and 9 our lower sets do only one language though but top and middle sets generally do fine, except the general few notable exceptions you always get
    As for getting through 3 books - we often don't get to the end of book 2 even, but we supplement all the time with each topic anyway to make it more relevant and give it more bite, The new AQA books have revision from KS 3 built in anyway which you can use or expand as you like if you have enough time to fit more revision in.
    Hope this helps.