1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lack of confidence when presenting in front of a group..

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Splenderific, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I've never posted on forums before, so bear with me! :)
    I started my BEd Early Primary Education course in September, and am pleased to say I am really enjoying it, I've learnt loads already and can't wait until my first school placement to put everything into practice!
    However, I've already had one assessment, where I had to do a Powerpoint presentation in front of a group of 15 other students, of a similar age and older. I really lack confidence in this, so completely panicked, didn't look up from my page of notes and spoke at about 100mph. However, it was a group presentation, and although we all passed (and I was told I could have easily passed it alone), I'm convinced that if I'd been left to my own devices, I would have completely failed.
    I have a similar assessment coming up in December, and am already dreading it.

The point I'm trying to make is basically I am absolutely petrified when standing up in front of a group of peers, and delivering a presentation. However, I am pretty confident I can do this in front of children. But, perhaps these presentations I perform to my peers will lower my confidence even further, which could lead me to be incredibly nervous when delivering presentations to groups of children.

Basically, are there any methods (tried & tested) that will help to improve my confidence in this?

Thanks in advance.

2. Hi all,
    I've never posted on forums before, so bear with me! :)
    I started my BEd Early Primary Education course in September, and am pleased to say I am really enjoying it, I've learnt loads already and can't wait until my first school placement to put everything into practice!
    However, I've already had one assessment, where I had to do a Powerpoint presentation in front of a group of 15 other students, of a similar age and older. I really lack confidence in this, so completely panicked, didn't look up from my page of notes and spoke at about 100mph. However, it was a group presentation, and although we all passed (and I was told I could have easily passed it alone), I'm convinced that if I'd been left to my own devices, I would have completely failed.
    I have a similar assessment coming up in December, and am already dreading it.

The point I'm trying to make is basically I am absolutely petrified when standing up in front of a group of peers, and delivering a presentation. However, I am pretty confident I can do this in front of children. But, perhaps these presentations I perform to my peers will lower my confidence even further, which could lead me to be incredibly nervous when delivering presentations to groups of children.

Basically, are there any methods (tried & tested) that will help to improve my confidence in this?

Thanks in advance.

3. Only experience can calm your nerves, but there are certain things you can do to feel more confident in front of an audience.
    a) Be really well prepared. Rehearse your presentation so you know it almost off by heart. Look into the audience's eyes and engage their attention. Have headings, not full script, in front of you.
    b) Remember your fellow students aren't there to catch you out, so you have a sympathetic audience. So relax, talk normally, and don't be flustered if you make mistakes - we all do.
    c) Before you start, take a deep breath, remember your opening gambit by heart so you feel in control and not be slave to your notes.
    d) If possible, volunteer to do your presentation early. Waiting for others only serves to increase your tension and nervousness.

4. Hi, I have experienced a similar problem, and spent (wasted!) a lot of time panicking about an individual presentation in my second year. Because it was on my dissertation topic, knowing the subject inside out made me more confident in presenting it. In Uni groups also, the mood is generally quite relaxed, so try making a joke, I find it breaks the ice and everyone (including you!) relaxes. Also try moving around the space you have, I don't know why, but it helps me to be more confident. One final one - if you're having trouble with the speed you read at, try making your notes very very spaced out, and in a larger font, you won't have any choice but to read at a slower pace. Good luck!

5. Hi Splenderific,
    I'm the same as you in the fact that I absolutely hate presenting infront of my peers but don't seem to find this an issue when talking in front of children! I too have a presentation that I have to do soon which I am absolutely dreading.
    I agree with the others though that knowing what you want to say inside out helps. I find that I am more nervous when I don't know what im going to say. I also find making a joke at the beginning or telling others how nervous I feel also helps as that gets you the sympathy vote and releases nerves.

6. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

Presenting to your peers is totally different to standing in front of the kids, and it will feel different too.
    In my last job I had to do several assemblies in front of 250+ children, that never bothered me, didn't phase me at all, however, what did bother me was the adults around the room! In the assemblies where there were only a couple of adults I felt very differently to when there were 8-10!
    Don't worry, just be well prepared, I try to not have notes or if I do I have just a sub-heading as a prompt and then just witter on!
    Good luck.