1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Labour will end academies...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Aquamarina1234, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Of course, a government could do it very quickly if it wanted to. But the question I was answering is what is the law now!

2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I don't know the answer to that.
    But yesterday on FB page there was a link to an article in the Guardian.. about how we are in dire straits as a nation... due to the privatization of our assets ( including schools I guess) because the wealth of a nation's economy is in its assets ie railways, power, water, schools, hospitals etc etc
    We ain't got nowt.
    Our economy is only a tiny bit better than Portugals.
    We have been bankrupted by the government agendas of the last 20 or 30 years.

3. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Why would anyone assume most schools are doing well, without any evidence?

I first took an interest in how schools were being run eighteen years ago, for commercial reasons. Over the following fifteen years, I visited hundreds of schools, both LA and MATs. I became good friends with a fair number of the teachers I met on my travels.

During that time, I witnessed lots of changes taking place within the schools I visited on a number of occasions; the most significant thing being teachers getting stressed out and paranoid.

My company also employed graduates who will have been educated in schools that became academies and I could see no evidence that their level of education would warrant a degree.

Frankly I don't believe the BS that MATs have improved educational standards at all. Nor do I believe it possible for stressed out teachers will perform at their best

The other thing I've witnessed and continue to witness in the news, is that academies fail just as frequently as other schools do and have a legacy of being run by corrupt individuals.

What's been learned by those who manage schools since this political intervention was devised, is how to fiddle the statistics and grades, how to better manage Ofsted inspections and how to keep a straight face and have lawyers present when confronted by journalists who are investigating where all the money went.

It was all so simple before the academy BS came along.

Geoff Thomas likes this.