1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Labour MPs need their heads tested if they vote for the Dumb Deal...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Jan 10, 2019.

1. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

John Mann has long ceased to be a serious politician but the other MPs cosying up to her given the atrocious record of this government really begs me to ask if they can sleep well at night? This deal is ridiculously stupid for Britain. Even Len McCluskey who I like is playing a dangerous game.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

What are they going to vote for then ?

3. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

Right now, it's a binary choice. The EU deal or no deal.

4. red_observer

Not this deal. There is a majority for leaving the EU and staying in a customs union and single market. Or they can force through a second referendum. People are allowed to change their mind. People were once for Slavery and against women’s votes. You have to fight for what you believe in. In my opinion of course Peakers!

5. red_observer

No it’s not though. She says it is. It is not binary.

6. Photo51

it will never be an option, staying in the customs union and single market is known as remaining in the EU., which would be fine by me.
    Right now, there are no other options (unless thay are secret ones).

Scintillant and woollani like this.
  7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Ridiculous, simplistic, and wrong.

red_observer likes this.
  8. red_observer

I think you can still do that like Norway?

9. Photo51

Norway and the other EFTA countries are not in the customs union and are in the single market(4 freedoms pre-requisite)
    Turkey is in the customs union and not in the single market.

10. red_observer

Not today no but there ARE when this deal gets defeated.

11. red_observer

Well we can be in both bad still be out of the EU

12. Photo51

I suppose we could, although it is unprecedented.
    I suspect it would be the same as being in the EU but without any MEPs, wouldn't you agree?

Scintillant likes this.
  13. red_observer

Well perhaps it will satisfy the Leavers whilst keeping jobs and the environment in tact? A much better compromise than the sell out proposed by May

14. Photo51

I think remaining on the same terms devoid of representation would be as unaccepatable to MPs as the current one. It's certainly a worse option that just remaining in the EU as we do with EU+.
    I also think being out of the EU and in the single market and customs union might also require us to join Schengen,

woollani likes this.
  15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

And since people changed their minds we've gone to hell in a handcart.

16. red_observer

Dont know what you mean

17. red_observer

This has been a completely disastrous situation for this country. Parliament should have decided what deal it wanted FIRST, then put it to the people if they had to, and I was against the referendum. To ask the people a question to leave or stay without knowing what leave meant was grossly irresponsible from our elected representatives. Hence where we are now. Seeing as parliament does NOT know what it wants is an inevitable consequence of this crisis created by them. But now they have a chance to take control of the situation and vote this deal down and debate whstvto do next by extending Article 50 at least. There is NO binary choice. Article 50 can be and probably will be extended.

dleaf12 and ilovesooty like this.
  18. Photo51

The UK cannot extend article 50 only cancel it. It requires the unanimous vote of the EU27 to extend, when requested.
    That will also have a knock on effect to the May Euro elections. Seats have already been reallaocated but one would expect in any extension the UK would be included. I think it would be a major obstacle to any extension. That said, I don't know if an extension would solve anything, other than more time to prepare for no deal.

19. red_observer

Again I would say you make good points. Shows how complicated it’s all become. I wonder if we will ever leave the EU? Could be one long extension of article 50. I just can’t see no deal now happening, given the mood in the House. I can’t see the May Deal being accepted. So that’s why a soft brexit with the EU accepting an extension to A50 is the only sensible outcome of where we are at now.

20. sodalime

sodalime Established commenter

Would it allow enough time for Labour to form, you know, an actual opposition party? :rolleyes: