1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Labour MP employs convicted son, throws water at journalist

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Skeoch, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Stupid move.

3. xmal

xmal Established commenter

She was paying him £50k pa.

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

We await the re-trial of the other Labour MP....
    I wonder how careful constituency parties are at screeing prospective candidates? In all parties?

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  5. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

As long as the candidate fits the PC agenda I suspect the screening is not quite as stringent as one might think.

artboyusa likes this.
  6. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Even worse - although plenty of other MPs have managed to employ family and paid well over the odds for it.
    One wonders where on earth all these candidates come from. Does neither party have a pool of sensible, mature, honest MP material to choose from?

Laphroig likes this.
  7. Oscillatingass

Probably white middle class and male which is Kryptonite for any political party with an inclusivity agenda.

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Not resigning as an MP. Just from the shadow cabinet. So not a really meaningful gesture.

Laphroig, border_walker and nomad like this.
  9. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Is this the lady who also has been banned by Wikipedia from adding notes to her own file on there, as apparently she was going on mad and totally unsubstantiated propaganda rants about....herself?!

border_walker and nomad like this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Yup.

And, for the record she even threatened to sue the Wikipedia for hosting the fact that she plagiarised Barack Obama for her 2017 election night speech.

Which, of course, she did.

She also used (verbatim) large portions copied from Wikipedia for her maiden speech in parliament in 2015, along with much of her predecessor's maiden speech made on 1997.

https://order-order.com/2018/05/22/...peech-wikipedia-local-newsletter-predecessor/

As @monicabilongame notes, one wonders where on earth all these candidates come from.

11. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    monicabilongame likes this.
  12. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Oh please, like white middle class men haven't screwed up at all. Chris Huhne. Jonathan Aitken. Jeffrey Archer. Peter Mandelson. The fact that it is a black working class woman doing something dodgy is unusual.

monicabilongame likes this.
  13. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

I know little about illegal drug use, so I wonder if some of the "experts" here, with more experience in this field could explain, in plain English, why Tory MP Crispin Blunt uses "poppers" for recreational purposes?
    He claims that he and other gay men would be astonished if it was banned!
    Why? What does the Tory MP use poppers for?
    Please enlighten.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35363865

14. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

It relaxes the involuntary muscles. It also gives you a dizzy rush. Did you never inhale amyl nitrate when in the school chemistry lab?

15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I think you just have, with the nonsense posted by yourself...

and by the link you have given which states "GW Pharmaceuticals, a company whose largest investor is UK Prime Minister Theresa May’s husband, Philip May..."

Even the most cursory research shows that the largest investor in GW Pharmaceuticals, with a touch under 20% of the shares is Capital Research & Management Co. Capital Research and Management is not Philip May, although he is employed by the company (since 2016) as a Relationship Manager. The Capital Group was founded in 1931 and Philip May does not own it, although like many American companies, he may have some share options. He is just one of the 7500 employees of the company. He is not even mentioned as a member of the management team on the company's web site.

Of course, you can believe that he is personally benefiting from the FDA approval of a new cannabis derived drug to treat childhood epilepsy if you wish, but be aware that the Food and Drug Administration is a federal agency of the United States Department of Health and Human Services and has nothing to do with the drug in the UK. FDA approval simply means that the drug can be purchased within the 30 current states in the US which allow medical marijuana but only once it has received classification status.

Philip May's link with cannabis drugs in the USA is tenuous to say the least.

Maybe you would like to accuse all those paper boys who delivered the News of the World in 2011 of being complicit in hacking Milly Dowler's mobile phone.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Photo51 and Jesmond12 like this.
  16. Oscillatingass

No idea but I don't think he takes large quantities of it to pop festivals and tries to sell it.

17. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

I thought possession with intent to supply usually required a custodial sentence, especially when he does not need the money ( just greedy/impatient for a better car ?). Assaulting a journalist ( even with water) demonstrates lack of control / commonsense but I do not accept the 'right' of a journalist to doorstep anyone they want a story/comment from. Requests for interviews should be in writing/email with a list of questions and the recipient should have a legal right to refuse (politely) to answer without ever meeting in person.The same should apply to photographs. There are few things the public have the 'right' to see/read/hear about so called celebrities.

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I asked that of a young woman canvassing for Nigel Dodds' wife to become MEP. I asked her if she didn't think she was good enough to be considered instead of a wife, son, or daughter of a party bigwig. She didn't comment.

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Improves the steadiness of the Christmas Tree at erection and the full bloom of its show.

blazer likes this.
  20. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter