1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Labour advice for a 1st time mummy

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Julesk, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Hi everyone just after some words of wisdom please. I'm 39+2 and have had a pretty rough night. I had a rather large amount of bloody show (who knew it would look like that!) and I'm still bleeding a little. From about midnight to 7am I was experiencing painful though irregular contractions and thought it was all systems go. The contractions are now only coming every now and then, that I can feel, though my bump is rock solid all the time. I guess I'm just after others experiences of anything similar. How long did it take after your bloody show before labour began and did anyones contractions come and go before becoming established? Would really appreciate your advice.
    Sorry about lack of paras silly iPad!
    Thanks in advance julesk xxx

2. In hindsight, I now realise that I was already in labour when I had a bloody show on the Wed - I'd been having what I though were BH since the Monday evening. I finally got to hospital on the Thursday morning and that was only because my MIL came round and made me ring the labour suite (I still thought it was BH). I got there at 11 and was found to be 7cm - baby was born at 5.
    It all sounds a bit ridiculous that I didn't realise I was in labour, but one of the main reasons was that the pains were never regular. Whilst I was at home they were all over the place - 20 mins, 30 mins, 5 mins, 7 mins, etc... On that Thursday morning they were coming quickly, but not entirely regularly - so maybe 3 mins, then 5, then 3 and a half.
    If you've had a show and are having irregular contractions, I would say (in my very inexpert opinion) that labour perhaps isn't far off. Oh, and something I didn't realise at the time is that you can use a tens at the first signs of pain, even if you're only really in the very, very early stages. For some reason, I assumed that you had to be in proper 'established' labour before you could.
    Good luck x

3. I didn't realise I was in labour either, I think Irealised t it when contractions were 3-4 mins apart- and after I googled 'what do contractions feel like....' What an idiot! [​IMG]
    I didn't have a noticable show and my waters had to be broken for me- so everyone is different. I had been having what I thought were Braxton Hicks for 14 hours or so.... Not enough to stop me doing stuff but enough to be pretty uncomfortable. I was a little in denial as everyone gave me the impression I would be overdue and this was at 38 weeks.
    Try and relax and listen to your body- if contractions feel they are over taking your body more- time to go in I guess. You can always ring a midwife/ring the hospital and see what they say- and someone may be able to pop round and examine you.
    Good luck!

4. i had bloody show and contractions days before i went into labour. my waters broke first and contractions started about 2 hours later in the car on the way to hospital (very long drive and waters broke while i was having a nap.... then of course i needed a shower before getting in the car....!)
    anyway, indeed not long for you now! good luck x

5. Snap! I would perhaps have been quicker to realise if it was closer to my due date...

6. any news Julesk?
    This won't be any help now but I didn't realise I was in labour either - 35+6 - woke up with back pain at 5am. I also googled what do contractions feel like and asking friends on facebook etc! looking back I realise how stupid that is. People kept saying to me, you will know when you are in labour! ha ha errrrr no. I had a show at about 4pm (waters didn't break until midnight) like lilypot - I wouldn't have gone in if I hadn't been early. Contractions were definitely not regular.

7. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

It's different for everyone. I would guess you've had LO now so won't put much more lol!

8. Yup, I thought this too- on the way to hospital I was terrified they would tell me I was just incredibly constipated and to go home, by the time they examined me I was 6cm! Looking back, how flaming stupid I was!

9. Jules has had her little girl in case anyone is still wondering. Moomoon I have a friend who spent her labour at her sister's wedding and by the time her partner (who was a bit worried ) managed to drag her to hospital she was 9cm!