1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Laboratory fume hoods

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by soana, Oct 1, 2018.

1. soana

soana New commenter

We are preparing a new chemistry lab in my small SEN school.
    Is there a statutory requirement/gov. standard for a fume cupboard/hood? If so, which one is it? Has anybody researched on the topic recently?

It is not a cheap piece of equipment, and I would like to know under which conditions is its installation essential (number of pupils in the room, frequency of use, amount of chemicals use, etc.).

Thank you in advance.

2. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

There are very few practicals which require the use of a fume cupboard with students prior to A level (using bromine water to test saturation and the smoking machine come to mind).

You may need a fume cupboard to prepare chemicals e.g. diluting conc. hydrochloric acid or preparation of bromine water from bromine but this would not have to be in a lab. A mobile fume cupboard may be the best solution for you.

border_walker likes this.
  3. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

If your school subscribes to CLEAPSS, that organisation is the best source of information. If not, the school should subscribe to CLEAPSS!

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

lead bromide electrolysis
    screaming jelly baby
    keeping gas jars of chlorine in before reacting them with iron or sodium
    After chlorine practicals i like to put the used apparatus in a fume cupboard.

I have almost always found mobile fume cupboards to be worse than useless. last time I did lead bromide electrolysis in one, I had to move to a different classroom.

5. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

Avoid mobile fume cupboards. They are okay if well maintained but schools never do this properly