1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Labelling

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by 9offspring, May 11, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm about to start my dissertation and was wondering what people think about labels given to children. Rre they good, bad. useful etc.
    Thanks,
    Diane

2. I think they can be really useful. If I have a new class I always put children's name on sticky labels and it helps me learn them quickly. I don't think it is a good idea on trips though.

3. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

I love it when I read a post and take it a completely different way from people who've answered! I thought this meant labels like autistic, learning disabled, dyspraxic...
    Just goes to show it's good to be specific about the age-group one is talking about and the context/meaning of any ambiguous words.

4. ott

ott

totally agree with above post! I thought scotslassie was taking the michael!

5. A label is not the same as a diagnosis.

6. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

I am aware of that but, from reading this forum regularly, I'm afraid these 'labels' are often handed out very freely <u>without</u> a diagnosis so one never knows what people mean!

7. My mistake.
    I assumed your query about 'labels given to
    children' referred to labels of which the children are aware, and whether they were good/bad/useful to the children.
    I didn't realise you meant
    labels 'handed out very freely' on a public forum to children who are
    not named and who presumably know nothing about them; so I guess you meant is it a good or bad thing to use labels as a term of reference when discussing pupils.

8. Sorry - just realised I mis-directed that post - confused two posters.