1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

LA v Academy

Discussion in 'Education news' started by emerald52, Sep 24, 2015.

1. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

We went Academy 2 years ago by choice, for the money. Can't think of anything that is better as aresult. Am I just unlucky?

2. keepthespirit

keepthespirit New commenter

From everything I've read the answer is,'No'.
    There is no evidence to show improvement as a result of conversion.
    It is driven by political ideology.

3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

No, not unlucky, but I guess you might be grateful that it wasn't a forced conversion. Now that really is the end- IMO.

kittylion likes this.
  4. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

We became an academy by choice (not my choice!) - there's not much change in the classrooms except we seem to have even less money for essential things like stock (how can a school run out of paper and pencils?). More staff appointed at senior (non-teaching) level, more consultants brought in (costing £600+ a day each), more pressure to 'sell' school - in short, school seems more of a business than educational establishment. Wouldn't recommend it.

johnberyl likes this.
  5. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

My last school chose to convert....
    .... because if it didn't they would be forced to do so.

So 'Choice' has become part of the new educational dictionary, along with 'satisfactory', 'support', 'outstanding etc.

Interestingly the 'choice' to convert was made by Head and Deputies (opposed by much of the rest of the staff) and the chain they went with subsequently 'got rid of' them.

marlin likes this.
  6. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

What Grandsire said

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I have the pleasure of announcing my first 'Foot of our stairs' post of the new TES! :rolleyes:

8. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Thank you! 'Blushes'

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

My school chose to convert to get a one-off cash boost.

The head said something like "I assure you I have no intention of using this to attempt to become a super-head or to use it to advance my career".

Bizarrely I seemed to be the only one to notice he was only about 2 years from retirement at the time and probably saw it as his best way of hanging on without getting pressurized too much.

It worked for him.

Schools are now at the mercy of business style selfish, short-termism.

10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Grandsire - I think we must have worked at the same school, possibly Mangle's school.
    I am feeling that heads were spun a yarn about "cascades of money" that were subsequently diverted into the free schools programme.

11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My daughter was looking at job adverts today and we saw one for an Academy in Nottingham. They wanted two unqualified KS2 teachers (would consider an NQT but still paid on unqualified teachers payscale). They particularly wanted someone 'who strong in literacy and numeracy skills' [sic]. There are several other grammatical errors in the advert. I'm sure all this bodes well for the children in their care.

12. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

"My daughter was looking at job adverts today and we saw one for an Academy in Nottingham. They wanted two unqualified KS2 teachers (would consider an NQT but still paid on unqualified teachers payscale). They particularly wanted someone 'who strong in literacy and numeracy skills' [sic]."
    :eek:

edit:
    An academy chain which couldn't get the subjects right by advertising (say) for a teacher ' to lead the English department. Must have a strong background in Chemistry' sort of thing

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

My penultimate school chose to become an academy about 3 years ago. Was rated good in previous Ofsted. Since then: TAs who have left have not been replaced (which is most of them); no money for pay rises; some classes taught by HLTAs for 30% of week; head & deputy got rid of, and 2 assistant heads walked (one before the end of term); chair of governors resigned......oh, yes, and following Ofsted now has Serious Weaknesses.

Becoming an academy has clearly benefited the children & staff of that school!

14. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

SLT wages have rocketed, ordinary teachers wages have been restricted by ridiculous PM policies linked to pay. Consultants brought in to monitor departments. Advertising budget in 6 figures, workload gone through the roof, lots of data packages bought into

Benefit to children zero. Teachers leaving and being replaced by cheaper inexperienced NQTs. Bonkers.

Easy to work out what's going on.

15. drek

drek Lead commenter

People are getting leadership points on their way to SLT, for telling people to do what they have always done.
    Telling someone to remember to wipe themselves after sitting on the throne is now one of the most rewarded jobs of our times!
    Non teaching examples, an admin person in the NHS, can now earn double that of a doctor, for typing out 'policies' and firing doctors and nurses, so they can pay friends and family double and triple rates for 'supplying' replacement staff.
    We no longer need teachers, doctors nurses etc; just a layer of 'directors' who can supply the inspectorates with lots of spreadsheets about how hunky dory everything is or how much 'training and support' they are 'buying' in (no credentials required), if its not!
    These people and their policies are being overpaid for no real job!
    Project managers? HR directors? They have a role to play yes, but at the moment it seems to be at the centre of the employment universe.
    Used to be support because they did not have an in depth knowledge in any actual field. Now they do! Writing policies!
    Thus the academy movement was brought in successfully by an army of useless supers, Chiefs and directors, armed to the teeth with policies.

16. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I worked for an academy - the first thing they did after the conversion was abolish PPA and employ a marketing manager and other such consultants. Since I left (1 year in), they have been accused of maladministration in statutory tests, been pulled up by the DfE for financial irregularities and have confessed to errors in safeguarding (allowing children to be left alone with members of staff who had been employed before DBS clearance had come through). They are a family affair, having the head's children in SMT positions and husband on the board of trustees. Its all very icky.

emerald52 likes this.