1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

LA secondary schools abolished by Osborne

Discussion in 'Education news' started by emerald52, Nov 29, 2015.

1. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

A TV roundup of the rest of the autumn statement included the astonishing news that LA's will no longer be in charge of any secondaries. That was sneaky. As an academy of choice, with a large deficit, that will be the way to cut the cost of state education, save for free schools.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c9498c76-9397-11e5-bd82-c1fb87bef7af.html#axzz3stV3mciP

The five-year spending plan unveiled by Mr Osborne included a promise to break the control of local education authorities and move towards a system where all schools are academies — autonomous, but funded and regulated by central government.

So all secondary schools will be Academies like it or not...

Why is this not getting more noise?

emerald52 likes this.
  3. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Our government pledged to convert all remaining LA schools to academies by 2020 in Cameron's '100 days in power' speech back in August, but no one was listening.

There are probably only a handful of LA run secondaries left anyway.

emerald52 likes this.
  4. drek

drek Star commenter

Since 2012 and before, you threaten people with their livelihoods and make them exhausted by running rings of policies around them, you get rid of the experienced, by damaging their self-esteem and reputations, and you buy in a youthful mafia to control all the money in education, then......what you see and hear is what you get.

snowyhead likes this.
  5. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

My son's secondary school is still staunchly an LA school. The Head doesn't want it to be an academy. Oh and it's a 'good' school according to Ofsted unlike the two academies down the road!

snowyhead likes this.
  6. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

So what? Academisation has long since ceased to be about 'standards' or 'education' (if it ever was). It has always been an ideological policy - shrinking the state, privatisation, breaking the power(!) of the unions/teachers.
    (Maybe even a juvenile reaction to their own school-days)

emerald52 likes this.
  7. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Unfortunately, that head teacher will probably become one of the 'disappeared' by 2020.

emerald52 likes this.
  8. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I am afraid you are probably right. He is 'a certain age' seems a decent sort of chap and the staff and kids respect him........that'll never do!

9. FairyHoneyPeaches

FairyHoneyPeaches Occasional commenter

Have you people working in the state sector considered moving to the independent sector? Longer holidays, smaller classes. better pay and conditions.

10. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Untrue as most are too small to have the structure needed for higher level posts. Only the top ones can compete. Since only 7% of pupils are in independent schools there are very few posts.

11. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Not least from the Tory party who surely campaign on less government control rather than this sort of centralisation.

lanokia likes this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Indeed, could be argued the Academy program is a form of Nationalisation, removing control from local authorities to central government.

Still, we'll all be Academies soon.

13. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I'd rather be a free school. Local schools for local people. I could have a whole chain - eleventy or more!

14. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

LAs smack too much of municipal back scratching for my liking.

But they are probably better than academies! :eek:

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The nearest Free School to me is part of a big regional Academy chain. Not sure how 'Free' the Free School program is.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

LA control brings to mind Churchill's quote on democracy...

17. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

But not to "tongue"?

18. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

More schools with poor supervision and little chance of being held to account. Radicalisation of academy schools may be only the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah but @Yoda- they'll get around by saying there is stringent monitoring through the failed government attack dog Ofsted and that Academy chains are bringing new and vibrant rigor [vomit] to the classroom.

I could write this tosh for them.

20. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

a19249674ede97cf8c168b01f5d3981b.jpg

Prospective monitoring candidates.