1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

«La profesión docente está mucho mejor valorada en Inglaterra»

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by TheoGriff, Dec 14, 2015.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

2. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Than before? Than in another country? I'd answer no to both options anyway...

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And she's not actually a teacher if you read it . . .

4. Landofla

Sounds like she teaches afternoons in a nursery school, though that is only implied.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That was my thoughts too. And she hasn't got Magisterio, I don't think.

Best wishes

6. Landofla

I wonder if she earns more doing that here than she would in a full time role in Spain?

Interestingly, the system for applying for teaching jobs in Spain is severly competitive and notoriously difficult to enter. Maybe this has something to do with her positivity towards the profession in England.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I know, @Landofla , I know!

Best wishes

8. pascuam49

pascuam49 New commenter

The article says she has a degree in Pedagogy and also Magisterio SEN). Overqualified?

9. jolet

jolet New commenter

Many Spanish students when they graduate find it very hard to carry on studying in order to sit a national exam to get a position for life as a civil servants in the Department of Education. The majority would like get a teaching job straight away and forget about studying for a while. However, jobs in teaching , despite the need for teachers, don't come easy and most people don't want to move away from their home town to a larger city where job opportunities are much higher but where the will have to struggle and probably learn a new language if they move to the Bask Country of Catalunya where the requirements for teaching in the state sector implies knowing the language of the community. Most people would rather move to the UK where they can improve their English and eventually get a job in teachings after, it seems a few years. Staying in Spain and getting a job might take them less time but, being young and adventurous it's a good idea to benefit from being in the EU and work in the UK. Most outhouse teacher may never return as coming back to Spain will imply hard work again if they never were civil servants when they left.
    Britain is more flexible at offering Spanish teachers, with a decent knowledge of the English language, temporary jobs for a few hours but, when those teachers want to secure a permanent position, they may have to go onto teacher training, if they never worked in their country as teachers before and compete
    with the local teachers for the same job.
    I do not believe they have an easy life at all but, probably the same happens to lots of British graduates with a TESOL certificate who go to Spain in search of a better life, security and good money. The majority of them end up teaching here, there and everywhere, living in poor accommodation but having a great social life ,meeting lost of people and soaking the Spanish sun.