1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

LA intervention team to do lesson observations

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by clair24, Oct 5, 2012.

1. good luck!
    we just had this. They used ofsted criteria. Head and sip didn't always agree on what they saw which didn't help. Our confidence in teaching was in pieces after. Teachers dropped from consistently good-outstanding to 'requires improvement'.
    The most awful experience in my teaching career.
    I hope you never have to experience what we did. Do your best, they will come with an agenda anyway.

2. sambrose

sambrose New commenter

OMG it sounds terrifying! How long did they observe lessons for and did they also look through books?

3. Don't be terrified! If you are doing a good job they will see that.
    We had one in the summer term and it is just like Ofsted.
    Minimum they can spend is 25 mins observing to give feedback. Expect books to be looked at as everything is about progress, both in the observation and over time.
    Had Ofsted this term and it felt just the same so helped confidence as we had already had feedback to help this!

4. sambrose

sambrose New commenter

Thanks for the reassurance, trouble is I feel so battered and de-skilled by the last few years of treatment by previous head I just dont know if I'm doing a good job anymore!!! Oh well at least I have 2 weeks to prepare myself mentally.

5. There are no ofsted criteria for judging lessons

6. sambrose

sambrose New commenter

Could you expand on that? Don't they use that list thing - do all children make good progress sort of thing?

7. It's on the ofsted site. In the last 5 years and 3 different schools I've always been observed on this. Maybe it's different under the new changes, I'll have a look.

8. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

If you are NUT or NASUWT then you can refuse this inspection as part of the present action.

9. +1

If it goes ahead and you feel you are doing a good job and your everyday lessons reflect this, then just ignore the comments of a potentially failed teacher who has observed part of one lesson, not even of their own subject. Keep the unread written feedback for a week or two just in case and then bin it. Keep calm and carry on! Good luck.

10. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

It's happening everywhere. Please note your LA bloke/lady will be getting paid hundreds of pound notes for this teacher torture. Don't stress too much about it, because they have to justify their jobs, they will find SOMETHING to pick at. I'd just deliver your normal lesson for that day, if they don't like it, tough.

11. sambrose

sambrose New commenter

Thanks for all your encouraging words. I know my class are learning and making progress already so I shouldn't care what they say I will try very hard not to take it all too seriously. Im doing literacy which is my 'best' subject and doing Dramatic Conventions (Year 5) so we should have had lots of fun in the run up to the visit on Friday. The objective part of me knows that it will be OK and the children will learn and enjoy the lesson but the irrational brain says - they will find fault because that is what they do - and it irks me!! Ho hum - kepp calm and carry on I suppose.

12. It is likely that the school will have asked the LA to do the review and the Head Teacher will have discussed with the LA exactly how it will be carried out, what they will be looking at etc - it's usually a school-led process. It's in the LA's interest for the school to be recognised as good or better by Ofsted so when we do LA reviews, we are looking to find good practice, but also to identify any potential '***' in the school armour so they can be addressed before Ofsted get there. The new schedule can seem a bit harsher as to be 'good' teaching has to be 'usually good', which means it has to be pretty consistent. The definition of Requires Improvement is 'not good'.

And just to set the record straight, I don't get paid hundreds of £££s for a review, I get my normal salary, which hasn't kept pace with Teacher's pay, and I usually have to work well beyond my contracted hours to boot.

13. In our authority we only go in at the request of the headteacher - usually to bench mark their own judgements, and help with identifying any possible issues, so that they can be addressed before an Inspection. Unlike OFSTED many of us consultants then come back and work alongside SLT and/or teachers to develop any issues, or to help the school share good and outstanding practice throughout the school.
    Like thomas2 I don't get paid any more for doing this work, and I know I get paid significantly less than many of the teachers I work with. I also often go back into the school and teach the children for teachers to observe and have the opportunity to give me feedback on the impact on learning and progress. Which puts me at quite a disadvantage as I don't know the children, and often have very little data on which to make assumptions about where to pitch the lesson. However, I enjoy working with teachers and children, I love teaching, and still want to make a difference to children and their outcomes. Because I live locally to many of the schools I bump into the teachers and children in town and other places, so I think I'd know if they felt I was a threat. AND there are definitely no underlying agendas. In our training we were told our job was do ourselves out of a job!!!

14. I would be asking my SLT/Head for a description of what they felt was 'a good job'. What do they expect from their teachers? Do other teachers understand what 'a good job' is? We've currently had a change of Head and we are going through a round of redundancies, and the key to maintaining morale has been communication with/from management. On the occasions that hasn't happened, fear reigns!
    In any business, management need to set down expectations and plans. Captains plot the journey. Don't feel alone: you're not. The fact that you posted here and sought advice indicates that you are committed - that commitment will, no doubt, show up in your classroom. Keep the faith.

15. Have you tried peer obs?

We carry these out quite frequently as a team. A colleague observes your lesson and can help you improve or comment on any areas that you feel may be weak - or just comment overall on your lesson and everything that comes with - i.e. lesson plan, assessment, differentiation etc. Not only is this a great way to get some honest feedback on your lessons, but we find that we pick up new ideas for our own lessons from colleagues!
    If you don't have time to carry out obs, why not just exchange lesson plans for colleagues to read through?

16. What is a Local Authority Intervention thing and why were you having one ?

17. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Where some so called experts come in from the local authority and do a 'mocksted'. Does nothing to improve standards but puts a lot of pressure and stress on staff.

NUT/NASUWT member should be refusing to comply.

18. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I know that our LEA charged the school £300 a day for this service.

19. You might be thinking about the 2005-2009 framework that did have a page on 'judging the quality of a lesson'. Inspectors are now asked to use the new teacher standards to judge the quality of lessons along with evidence of progress from pupils work etc.

20. sambrose

sambrose New commenter

Blimey - we had 5 of them - I sincerely hope the £300 wasn't multiplied by 5!!!!
    Almost everyone got rather negative feedback and most folk are rather depressed by it. I wasn't really surprised - they have to show the deficiencies that Ofsted would propbs pick up, but it is very demoralising and not about education anymore, hoop-jumping.