1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

LA forcing me to have a student into Yr 11

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by mr66a, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Ex student who caused enormous problems, intimidates staff and students, history of police intervention, mum who has openly said she will not support the school sanctions, will have a hugely negative impact on the yr group and staff morale is being forced on me by the LA.
    I've got spaces, LA say legally I can't refuse. Options please!

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Has this student been permanently excluded twice (from any school, not just yours)?
    What year group is the student?
    What type of school are you - Community, VA, Academy etc?
    Is your school in an Ofsted category - Special measures' or 'Requires significant improvement" (as was)?
    I know it's traditional on here to bash the LA regardless but why do you say the LA is forcing you to take this student? I can't see from your post why it's the LA forcing this student on you, they're just telling you what the law on school admissions says aren't they? They didn't write the law, they're not responsible for the fact that in most situations if you have a vacancy and the parents apply then the law says you must accept the student.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Unless he's been permanently excluded from your school (or has 2 permanent exclusions from other schools), you can't refuse, I'm afraid.
    When did he leave you, under what circumstances and why does he wish to come back? I ask because there might be some useful grounds for making *cough* other arrangements for him...

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You cannot refuse unfortunately. But you can prepare - Whatever mechanisms there are for 'alternative curriculum' in your area, make use of them. Also prepare staff with a specific system for recording this students 'progress' i.e 'incidents' so that if you need to you can evidence to move for exclusion in the future.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Exactly what I was hinting at, Daisy!
    *waves at Daisy*