1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

L6 KS2 SATs is it a common occurance?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sandyjohn, Apr 12, 2012.

1. A friend of mine teaching Y6 has been told by his HT that L5 is no longer acceptable in KS2 SATs and that they are now expected to get 20% of children achieving L6. The HT has indicated this is what the government are expecting. I work in an infant school so don't have this pressure but it seems amazing to me - is this really a national expectation? I despair!

2. Absolute rubbish! Children need to make the expected progress over the Key Stage (2 levels). Seeing as it is exceptionally rare to get a Level 4 at the end of KS1, Level 6 in KS2 is not a requirement.
    It is a possibility for the higher attainers at the end of KS2 and would reflect accelerated progress but it is not a requirement, simply a bonus!

3. tpt51

tpt51 New commenter

We haven't put any children forward for the lv6 paper, we will only have a small handful of 5s let alone 6s. However, we have had to put up an argument to the LA to explain why we haven't asked for any lv6 papers. Extra pressure piling up!

4. Schools which are expected to achieve Fischer Family Trust 'D' results (i.e. better than average' progress for a majority of children) might need to get several children to Level 6.
    My school is apparently in need of FFT 'D', and we have about 6 children (out of 60) pegged to achieve level 6 this year.

5. luffenham

luffenham New commenter

This will be an interesting one in the next few years I think![​IMG] This year I have a few gifted mathematicians and they MAY get level 6 as have been doing some KS3 work with them and we have had someone in to work with them, but no very gifted in English (some have a 5A target ...Yeah right!) so no Level 6 potenetial there.
    There wasnt any fuss this year as L6 test is a new thing (well a not seen for a few years thing) and lets face it the whole "How are we marking/moderating writing and calculating English scores" is throwing in enough confusion in our LA. But I will be interested to see whether next year, once the powers that be get there teeth into this Level 6 stuff, if suddenly it will be an expectation that a small group will make it each year. ( And as next years group are sadly lacking any "spark" or so it seems at the moment, there's not a chance! But thats I guess only if you look at the children as individuals...not percentages on a spreadsheet!)

6. We have a very small group entered for maths and English. These children stood out at KS1, even in foundation stage as exceptional. I cannot imagine that we'll enter more than 1 or 2 next year, if at all.
    We've had no pressure to enter anybody and it is in fact a bit of pain, as way before we'd heard about when the level 6 tests were we'd booked a week of trips linked to our topic work. Just happen to fall in the same week and on the same days. We've managed to juggle enough around so that the children can go on the trips and do the level 6 paper. We had a very serious conversation along the lines of, 'if we can't make the tests and the trips fit then we won't enter them for the tests.'

7. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Exactly!
    It's remarkably easy to tutor a student to be able to achieve the right things for a test to hit a level, without having even a fraction of the knowledge securely understood, particularly in Maths. So soon enough we'll see booster groups for L6 tests, and extra tuition and tutors and all sorts... and our receiving high schools wringing their hands with the children who are now expected to get As and A*s, but are struggling around the vital C grade boundary. We do them no favours by forcing them through ever-more-challenging hoops!

8. Agree totally here that it is easy to tutor most pupils to achieve an expected level in maths - whether they fully understand the concepts or not is debatable and, in the view of the powers that be, it would seem to be irrelevant. I have one very able child who can whizz through year 9 maths with total understanding. He is the only child in my class to be entered for year 6 maths. I have also 4 gifted readers who will sit the level 6 tests. Extra tuition has not been drafted in for these children. It is through differentiation and determination that they will achieve these grades if that becomes the case in a few weeks time. Good luck to them, but it is after all an exceptional achievement if they get there, and shouldn't be an expectation at the end of ks2.