1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

L1 APP in writing - why does it have to be with help?

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by Worktop04, Feb 25, 2011.

1. All the level 1 AFs say 'In some writing, usually with support'.
    We are working to define what support means so there is continuity - I have seen it practised as 1 to 1 support to get a child to put pen to paper.
    When they came to me, almost all my class (except SEN) had been given L1b or 1a or 2c because they had just begun to work without support, so I got targets for the end of Y2 2a/3 based on this The more able have moved on, but I expect Y2 to do assessment tasks without support, which means they still don't achieve L2.
    Before we had this crazy scheme, children came through with levels based on unsupported assessment tasks so you knew where they were.
    How does anyone else cope with this?

2. All the level 1 AFs say 'In some writing, usually with support'.
    We are working to define what support means so there is continuity - I have seen it practised as 1 to 1 support to get a child to put pen to paper.
    When they came to me, almost all my class (except SEN) had been given L1b or 1a or 2c because they had just begun to work without support, so I got targets for the end of Y2 2a/3 based on this The more able have moved on, but I expect Y2 to do assessment tasks without support, which means they still don't achieve L2.
    Before we had this crazy scheme, children came through with levels based on unsupported assessment tasks so you knew where they were.
    How does anyone else cope with this?

3. Ramjam

Ramjam New commenter

Get your team to agree that for one assessment task per half term, the children work without help, and that's where their overall level come from. We are working to get agreement on this.
    About the 'with support' I can't find any definition - so perhaps you need to work that out as well. We haven't managed to come to any agreement on this, so some childrenhave 1 to 1 help, some have a procedural checklist on the board, some have help when they ask for it so our results are very different and very difficult for the next teacher to cope with.