1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kwik cricket

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thedancingqueen, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Can someone please explain how to play this to me? I've just been reading the rules online, e.g. on http://www.mertonssp.org.uk/eventfiles/Rules%20for%20Kwik%20Cricket%202007.pdf
    and it doesn't mean too much to me. I only played rounders when I was at school and don't even know how to play cricket. I'm on a final teaching placement and need to teach it to a year 5 class the week after next, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. I'm going to keep looking online. I went to the library yesterday and got a few books out explaining how to play cricket (they were books for teachers) but they didn't mention kwik cricket. I'm going to keep trying to figure it out but if anyone can suggest how to teach it and also ideas for a warm up and a cool down, it would be a big help.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I thought the point of Kwik cricket was that each year the teacher knows a different set of rules, so the children leave primary school entirely clueless about the 'real' rules? Purely, I suspect, to irritate the secondary school teachers who then get a class of thirty children with about 6 different ideas of how to play.

Bit like rounders.

Just take what you think the rules are and play using those. So long as the children are practising, throwing/catching/ hitting/ running it matters not a lot at primary age.

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

And if you enter a kwik cricket competition, make sure every teacher involved has a set of the same rules so there are no punch-up's!

4. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Surely it does. Especially if you intent on playing other schools.
    I don't understand the idea of playing a sport if you aren't going to take it seriously. There are pretty standard rules out there, so why not use them?

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It is the holidays, I wasn't being wholly serious!

But yes, provide rules for any inter-school competition (Or even mixed year competition in house!) or there is no way you'll escape alive..

But do relax and enjoy playing sport with your class. Don't get too het up on the rules.