1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kuwait visa - beware!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by m_alamin_we, Aug 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

It’s interesting. I spoke to three heads and principals last night, none of whom were aware that this visa route had opened up. All needed to bring people in so further investigation will be happening today.

2. desertestrella7

desertestrella7 New commenter

So far as I know it's only for key professions that the country needs right now - that's why our school is pushing for our new staff to get here on this specific work/tourist visa that's been announced, though they haven't got flights confirmed yet. I don't know the details but it was on the MOI or MOE Instagram feed recently. And the school I work at does everything by the book so it must be legal and Ministry approved.

3. desertestrella7

desertestrella7 New commenter

I've found the article: Arab Times Online Aug 16th. "The MOE has requested the MOI to allow all teachers of foreign private schools:
    1. to return if their residency has expired (which we knew anyway)
    2. allowing those holding educational positions in foreign private schools to enter the country under 'tourist - commercial' visit visas and enabling these schools to transfer them to work visas without the need for these employees to leave the country."

This will be what our school has requested for our new arriving colleagues.

4. TinyTeacher92

TinyTeacher92 New commenter

If your school is in Hawally and sounds like a drink similar to coffee then they've done this to a friend of mine. They gave him the same story which he disproved and they eventually admitted it was due to lower student numbers.

5. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

I saw the original post on Instagram and the article when it was published but it was only the MoE requesting of the MoI. It’s not even close to happening yet as I understand it.

6. spannerintheworks

spannerintheworks New commenter

That's the norm in Kuwait and I believe in other ME countries. It was brought in to counter the claims that teachers aren't qualified. The strangest thing is they only count first degrees, so MSc and PhDs don't count at all when it comes to visa authorisation. But the school should ensure you have a relevant degree before they offer you the post.