1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kuwait or Thailand with kids?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by mountaingoat, Apr 4, 2007.

1. mountaingoat

mountaingoat New commenter

Is it possible to work in Thailand or Kuwait with non teaching husband (hairdresser) and child? Would an average paying school in Thailand be enough for us to live on? Would there be visa issues for my husband in Kuwait?
    Would love to hear from anybody with kids in either place.

2. mountaingoat

Is it possible to work in Thailand or Kuwait with non teaching husband (hairdresser) and child? Would an average paying school in Thailand be enough for us to live on? Would there be visa issues for my husband in Kuwait?
    Would love to hear from anybody with kids in either place.

3. It is perfectly possible to work in Thailand with a non teaching husband, don't know about Q8. Most good schools pay sufficient for a family to live on. You would need to be sure that the school would organise a dependants visa for your husband because new immigration rules mean that without this he would not be able to stay in Thailand for a whole year even with 3 monthly visa runs. A good school should take care of all this for you. I'm not sure how happy he would be not working, what would he do all day? There is no way he would be allowed to work as a hairdresser in Thailand as this is a job reserved for Thai nationals. Thailand is a great place for kids. Are you thinking of working in bangkok?

4. mountaingoat

Thanks for the info Jordan07.
    Were thinking of applying to a couple of schools in Bangkok. We have worked overseas before and my husband has been able to earn a little money cutting hair at home (expats, friends etc) He is in the middle of a distance learning course, so will have plenty to keep him occupied.

5. A working wife cannot sponsor her husband in Kuwait and there is a quite hefty fee for youe child's visa. a visit visa now only lasts one month. My advice is do not try for Kuwait. It may eventually be possible but will involve a great deal of beaucracy and in temperatures of 50 C in September you do not want to be traipsing around offices and government departments.

6. mountaingoat

Thanks eyesore, info greatly appreciated.

7. Sounds like Bangkok would be a good place for you then. How old is your child? There are plenty of "international" schools in Bangkok but rates of pay vary considerably as does the standard of education you can expect for your child. Take care to check out prospective employers carefully. Having said that, the big names don't necessarily provide the best conditions or education. I love Bangkok but the traffic and pollution can drive you crazy. There are also some pretty good schools along the Eastern Seaboard. The one in Pattaya is pretty international but you wouldn't want to live in central Pattaya. However there are lots of nice places nearby.
    Good luck

8. We moved to Bangkok last August with our two children - they love it. Of course the School is crucial in that...as is the accommodation. Our condo is really family friendly and so they have made loads of friends...

Happy to provide more info should you wish...

9. Dont even think of Kuwait with a non-working or more to the point non-teaching spouse. As eyesore says Visa problems not worth the hassle.

10. mountaingoat

Thanks life_is_good.
    Would you mind emailing me with schools you would recommend/avoid.
    Thanks ronniebarker@hotmail.com

11. no problem...

12. Dear life-_is_good,
    I am a single mother with twins and I am thinking of teaching in Thailand. I was wondering if you or anyone else could share their experiences and/or advice on this? Would the money be enough to support 2 kids? Which are the best places to work and live? Do you know anything about the school which is also a city in England and rhymes with 'Shoesbury'? Thanks in advance