1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KUWAIT Offer / Is this accurate ?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by chocolat, Sep 13, 2017.

1. chocolat

chocolat New commenter

Hello,

I have 10 years of teaching experience and have just been offered a position in Kuwait.
    The salary will be 1,100 dinars monthly plus all the other usual benefits.

Is that a fair salary these days in Kuwait?

2. february31st

february31st Occasional commenter

Thats why everyone in the ME is moving to China, Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand...........

3. chocolat

chocolat New commenter

Your statement does not answer my question.
    Does anyone have any information regarding salaries in Kuwait?

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

its just 2748.99 British Pound a month, 32987.88 per year. i personally wouldn't move to that part of the world for triple that, but if you are happy with it then go for it.

5. binaryhex

binaryhex Established commenter

Common sense here: you know the exchange rate. Do nothing = save a lot. Have a life and comforts = save a little. It's a low salary by any measure though. You'll be able to save maybe half your salary, £1400, a month if you stay indoors in the evenings and weekends, don't buy a car, don't have weekends away, like reading big books like War and Peace in your living room to pass the time and are happy to waste your life in a state of hibernation when not working. If you buy a car, have a social life, have a few weekends away to regain your sanity, join a few clubs and buy a few things to make your apartment look like a home, you'll be saving a few hundred a month; Kuwait is not a cheap place to live or buy a car, and it is very boring if you are a single male teacher. A salary of 1500KD plus all the usual benefits is far more reasonable, especially with your experience. They are taking you for a ride with the salary, but you ain't seen nothing yet! Just wait til you start work .....

You may also want to factor in the cost of therapy; after a few months in Kuwait and teaching in an Arab school, you'll really really need it.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  6. february31st

When i was working in Kuwait 15 years ago the salary was 1200kd/month and i had half your experience. It went up to 1500 for HoD if you had the balls to bluff it out with the owners.

Last month here in Shanghai net pay was just under 45000GBP, including housing allowance and all the other perks of the job. Plus a bottle of beer 50p for the good stuff.

Reason for the good salary is the value of the pound has dropped 25% in the last 3 years, thank ypu Britext!

7. dumbbells66

month, or year ?

8. february31st

Ops 4500GBP/month

9. kstainsb

kstainsb New commenter

The top uk schools in Kuwait pay around 1550-1600kd/month for experienced teachers, plus extra for responsibilities. NQTs nearer 1200kd. Hope this helps.

10. yorkie63

yorkie63 New commenter

I work in a school in kuwait. Not the best or the worst. I have over 25 years experience teaching physics and maths at all levels. I earn 1250 kmd a month. tax free. I have free accomadation and can walk to work in 5 minutes.

Salaries in general here are going down.

NQTs get no where near 1200. Even hods or SLT will be lucky to get 1600 a month etc.

Kuwait it self has little to offer. Boring plain and simple. This is why i take little trips to sri lanka etc every few months.

Its what you make of it. The posters on here quote salaries if the top schools in various locations which are not the norm.

And yes i have worked in many different international schools around the world.

Ps. Dont listen to dimbell 66 he or she is a WUM who had answers to everything. Doubt even a teacher.

11. dumbbells66

No, am a teacher, and very experienced. I am quiet happy here taking home nearly double what you are. Hope you are having fun in your plain and boring country.:)

Alldone likes this.
  12. dumbbells66

personally there is NO amount of money that could drag me to that part of the world...i would rather work in Spain or the UK again

13. kstainsb

kstainsb New commenter

Sorry but you're wrong. I have a 2nd year teacher friend at another british school in kuwait who's on 1200kd. My august wage was 1780kd, and thats with a couple of responsibility points. I'm not even a dept head, never mind SLT! I'm physics too. You should come work at our place!!

But agree about the other points re Kuwait and its unique charms..

14. bead

bead New commenter

That seems very very low. The good schools are at least 1500 kwd plus the other benefits. Be very careful and pick a decent school. There are a few very good ones, but the rest are awful and will stick you in a cockroach infested dump which they describe as excellent accommodation and treat you like a slave, whilst docking your pay whenever they get the chance. At the moment, there are only about 4 of the very good British ones left.
    As for life in Kuwait. Most people love it because the social life is good and it really is an easy life. Some(not many) really hate it and leave at the first opportunity. It really depends on the person. Many people have been here 10 years and more.
    The other interesting thing is that in my experience, about a quarter of the people who move on from the good schools here to other countries, end up coming back because they miss the easy life, good money and good holidays.

15. binaryhex

binaryhex Established commenter

Yes, they are examples of perfect oxymorons in Kuwait; 'education', 'learning' and 'teaching' in an international school mean the exact opposite.

16. Alldone

Alldone Established commenter

What a rude comment. Just because he earns a lot more than you do.

blueskydreaming and dumbbells66 like this.
  17. tica

tica New commenter

If this is the school I think it is then I would be more worried about the staff accommodation which means a 40 minute (at best!!) commute into work sitting in nose to tail traffic! Not the best start to your day

18. kstainsb

kstainsb New commenter

I would add, however, that I heard yesterday of a school (with the name of a fine uk university in its name), that just went and fired loads of new teachers! Pupil numbers not as high as expected. They got 10 days pay, and that's it. People who had upped and moved to Kuwait, a huge commitment and hassle. Disgraceful. Honestly, unless its a good school with a cast iron reputation, don't even think about coming here!

19. february31st

If I may suggest a subscription to the International Schools Review as it lists several pages on all seven of the University Schools in Kuwait.

kstainsb likes this.
  20. yorkie63

yorkie63 New commenter

I

I know i w