1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Kuwait - I wish I knew then...

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by star_bright, Feb 24, 2011.

1. star_bright

star_bright New commenter

So recently got the job, now it's a case of getting the medical done and the visa sorted for a late August start.
    If anyone has any advice on the medical / visa process (for example, is it too early to start getting the tests done now?) or any general advice, top tips, dos and don'ts from having lived and taught in the ME I would be very grateful.
    I'd like to be as best prepared as possible and also have a good idea of what the classroom experience will be - 3 part lessons? AFL at every turn? Edutainment type lessons? PLTS and cross curricular links?
    Thanks in advance [*]

2. star_bright

star_bright New commenter

So recently got the job, now it's a case of getting the medical done and the visa sorted for a late August start.
    If anyone has any advice on the medical / visa process (for example, is it too early to start getting the tests done now?) or any general advice, top tips, dos and don'ts from having lived and taught in the ME I would be very grateful.
    I'd like to be as best prepared as possible and also have a good idea of what the classroom experience will be - 3 part lessons? AFL at every turn? Edutainment type lessons? PLTS and cross curricular links?
    Thanks in advance [*]

3. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

Congratulations on your new job.
    With regards to the medical and visa - isn't your school providing/paying for those? I believe that is the norm in the ME, well the UAE certainly.
    And one piece of advice I was given about Arabic parents - if you are a female teacher, do not offer to shake hands with the fathers unless they initiate it first! They are not being rude, they just don't like to make physical contact.
    Good luck with your move :)

4. q8living

q8living New commenter

Good luck with the medical, hopefully your school pays for it!

Depending on which school you have ended up in will depend on what is expected. I can't remember the last time I did a 3 part lesson, as I only have 40min lessons, so if I did a starter and plenary I wouldn't have time to teach! And most at my school wouldn't know what AFL was if it bit them on the behind.

Good luck!

5. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

5 mins intro, 30 mins main activities, 5 mins plenary. Simple[​IMG]
    Please don't bother applying to my school until you've reviewed you practice. [​IMG]
    clearly a school which is out of touch and to be avoided - presumably there's no CPD budget