1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kuwait - beware

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by alannotrealname, Aug 8, 2020.

1. frodo_magic

frodo_magic Occasional commenter

I still feel very sad for Kuwaiti youngsters. The males are being bought up in a society where eating, cheating, bribing, treating women like dirt whilst often hiding their over-friendliness with male friends (they don't call being gay gay in Kuwait - the logic being that it means you're not gay) and looking like a manager with a team of Bangladeshis to bully are more important than living your life to the full, developing mentally and physically as a human being, having pride in real achievement, in doing real things, having empathy, resilience and a sense of worth. When I worked there, I can't remember many teachers having anything but contempt for Kuwaitis. Most just brewed alcohol, took the money and left when they couldn't stand being close to a Kuwaiti any longer.

Bentley51 and SPC2 like this.
  2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

and your problem with that is? That attitude eventually paid for my home and a large 6 figure sum in the bank! (if the GBP could drop a another 12% in value it will be a 7 figure)

Just think of the shock to the Kuwaiti nervous system if a barrel of oil price stays below 25USD, might be worth buying a Tesla just to help it fall a bit more.

China only pays for oil with lines of credit in the BoC and this can only be spent on buying cheap and nasty Chinese made goods from state owned factories, it doesn't pay in cash. So no replacing America as the largest export market thanks to Trump allowing the country to be energy rich and independent.

When the oil money runs out the Prince's will retire to their homes in London with their stuffed Swiss bank accounts leaving their Kuwaiti passports in the rubbish bin at the departure gate in the airport.

Your average Kuwaiti will be left reading the user manual for a roll of toilet paper as all the maids and drivers have left and gone back to their home countries. The same is true of other ME countries.

alex_teccy, SPC2 and 24hours like this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I have spent much of my working life as an expatriate but fully appreciate that the expat lifestyle is not for everyone.

There are always going to be risks with working overseas and the Covid-19 pandemic is just one more instance which illustrates this.

Yes, there may be many financial benefits, free accommodation, tax free income, end of contract gratuities, etc, but there are risks as well as benefits - one being the need to return unexpectedly to the UK and facing a significant tax bill from the Inland Revenue. Remember the Iraq invasion of Kuwait? That affected schools and teaching jobs not only in Kuwait (where there were many schools employing UK teachers) but in Saudi Arabia, the UAE and as far down the Arabian Peninsula as Muscat! Then there was the uprising and civil war in Libya. That put a few schools out of business and teachers out of jobs. Several years earlier and there was the eruption of Mt Pinatubo which shut down the Clark Air Force Base and the Navy Base at Subic Bay along with their associated expat schools.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    alex_teccy likes this.
  4. 4019775

4019775 Occasional commenter

So what was the monthly pay for Q8 at its peak?

5. yasf

yasf Established commenter

I remember being offered about US$5 to 6000 net per month + benefits about 15 years ago or so. So it would be higher than that.

6. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

It's horses for courses. I started off in the ME in the 90s with the initial expectation that I'd stay for an extended period before only completing my initial contract and ending up elsewhere, largely further East, longer-term. I've enjoyed the depictions of a local mentality I remember all too well though!

7. nicksmithbsk

nicksmithbsk New commenter

I write this to my friends and colleagues who I know follow this thread at the school where everyone loves bskuits . Im getting sick of this school, it really takes the bskuit !! I got told to get teachers out in the 50 degree heat to pack up books, I was the only management type to really help out. The pastry chef is intolerable, for years Ive but up with his disgusting behaviour for example his constant creepy hugging of young female teaching staff, something that would get him fired in the UK ! Our parent company those nordic fishermen dont seem to care about his bullying and victimisation of staff as long as the money roles in. Any company that would but a sociopath in charge of a school is not somewhere anyone should work. If you are a friend or colleague who works at the school where everyone loves bskuits Im sorry but there is just nothing I can do about this maniac, staff need to start complaining to the nordic fishermen who own the school even if anonymously ! And If you are a female member of staff remember never be alone with the pastry chef and inappropriate hugging is just that inappropriate make a formal complaint about him its the only way hes going to stop!

8. 24hours

24hours New commenter

Am I the only one struggling with these cryptic clues regarding school names and people.

9. frodo_magic

frodo_magic Occasional commenter

01011001 01100101 01110011

10. Bentley51

Bentley51 Occasional commenter

It's pretty simple to work out:

BSKuits = abbreviation of the school's name.

Nordic Fishermen = Nord Angling = Nord Anglia.

Pastry chef, unfortunately, I am lost on! I know who he means but I don't understand the reference.

11. Bentley51

Whilst every word that you have written rings true about this place and this loony individual of a principal, I question who would choose to put their full name and school as their username. Either this isn't the member of this school's SMT (as it suggests) and someone has it in for that said individual and are trying to tie him up on here, or this individual has made a grave error and accidentally registered with their full name and abbreviation of their employer. If this is the case, I'd highly recommend changing it!

With all that said, this place is a disgusting and horrible 'school' to work in, but for as long as there are desperate or inadequate teachers looking for work with decent pay, this school will never fail to attract young, female NQTs (who move on quickly once they've been leched over and are fed up of the ridiculous big brother state that has been created both on campus and in their own personal accommodation blocks.)

12. 4019775

What about the Prince purple rain reference?

13. february31st

february31st Established commenter

There are schools with predominant colours in their logos and adverts. So you get the Blue, Green and Purple schools mentioned when referring to a particular institution.

14. Bentley51

Yes, that is it. Purple relates to the school.

15. towsifrehman

towsifrehman New commenter

Hi
    Does anybody have a valid number for the ministry of private education ?
    I have had some issues with salaries at my school.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

16. Bentley51

The Kuwait directory number is 101. You can call and select the options to get through to the correct ministry.

17. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

what's with the avatar picture?;)

18. 4019775

A notch in my bedpost.

19. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

He has been crowing about blackmailing a poster called Dumbells into quitting the forum but until today's shocking admission I hadn't realised that a bed was involved. No wonder the poor guy ran for the hills.

20. swsimp160

swsimp160 Occasional commenter

The numbered one did the board a favour