1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kuwait - beware

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by alannotrealname, Aug 8, 2020.

1. february31st

february31st Established commenter

One of the few things the British Embassy will take action on is the withholding of British Passports. Some schools may try to keep your passport as long as possible to prevent early runners after the first pay day.

Technically speaking the British Passport is the property of HMG and as such should be present when asked for by an agent of Her Government.

Bentley51 likes this.
  2. Bentley51

Bentley51 Occasional commenter

I genuinely can't disagree with anything you've said. But unfortunately, as mentioned above, there is always going to be someone desperate and messed up enough (maybe ill-informed/naive too) who will be desperate enough to work in Kuwait.

3. alannotrealname

alannotrealname New commenter

To those people who where hired illegally by the school on holiday visa or are seeing their holiday pay stolen by school where everyone loves bskuits you can can all or email the ministry of manpower
    their contact details can be found here:

http://manpower.gov.kw/InquiryComplaints.html

lodging complaints about the school is the only way people will get redress over what the school are doing

kstainsb and Bentley51 like this.
  4. february31st

Maybe if "reputable" recruiting agencies and advertising websites like the TES boycotted disreputable schools it may make a difference.

But as my old grandmother use to say, "Integrity doesn't pay the bills".

If people have evidence of a school employing teachers on tourists visa illegally they should email this to the TES as it is a clear violation of their T&C for accepting adverts from client schools.(or should be)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

There is, however, one school - the only school in Kuwait with a board of governors (which includes the British Ambassador's representative).

Not all schools are the same.

yasf likes this.
  6. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

The school you are referring to fired the entire support staff without notice, terminated six returning teachers whilst they were abroad and all their stuff was in Kuwait, and took their July / August salary and flight money.

Bentley51 likes this.
  7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Who?

The OP or me?

8. norwichred

9. february31st

10. Bentley51

Whilst the school you refer to comes with a much better reputation for being 'non-profit', it has as mentioned above, been equally as vile and cut-throat to its staff. This school, whilst it is different in certain ways, is still a fee-paying school with entitled and irritating parents who think they own you because they pay your salary. Don't be fooled.

kazandchrishebdon likes this.
  11. Bentley51

The idiot who runs the 'purple' school has created an 'us and them' mentality between staff who went home and those who remained, causing unnecessary tension. Turns out he was here during the invasion and was exactly the same then. Sociopaths + ethanol = Kuwait school leaders.

SPC2 and alannotrealname like this.
  12. alannotrealname

alannotrealname New commenter

if you had your summer pay stolen by the purple pirate or any other school here is the link that allows you to make an official complaint:
    https://privateeducationkw.com/cor2/

Bentley51 likes this.
  13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Changed since I was there, then. Mind you, that is going back 20 years plus!

14. Bentley51

It all comes down to money at the end of the day. They aren't setup to make a profit, but there's no doubt in my mind that they actually do. It would, we assume, just be reinvested. However, the second the owner starts to make a loss, all niceties and morals fly out the window.

These schools are pleading poverty but it is utter nonsense. They just don't want their profits eaten in to. That is how the rich get rich, and stay rich.

15. february31st

Many private schools are not registered as a business or company but as a charity or simply as a private entity. They have no means of making a lose as they can't legally make a lose as they have no access for a bank overdraft or loan. In some ME countries going overdrawn/insolvent/bankrupt is a crime punishable by long prison terms.

Many school owners may say their are none profit making but they pay themselves 250000USD salaries, employ family members on equally high wages have school owned accommodation and have the Mercedes limo paid for by the school.

Many such private schools are not run on a sound financial plan but simply depend on the frequent cash flow of tuition fees to pay their bills. (the same for many private schools in China)

When the cash flow stops the mountains of unpaid bills increases with no flow of fees there is no cash reserves to meet the obligations. So ME school owners to remain solvent and within the law cut staff numbers as they know there will be little come back in the courts as foreigners are all infidels and can never win against a true believer.

I wish anybody luck taking legal action on the owners of a school in the ME!

16. norwichred

Then why the hell would you make a comment like you did, if you were basing it on 20 years ago? Or at least should have qualified it with the caveat of the time scale of your knowledge....

The place was hideous to it’s staff over the last few months.

dguerrard likes this.
  17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I am genuinely sorry to hear this.

Try directing your anger appropriately.

I am short on sympathy for those who are bloody rude.

yasf, Bentley51 and Mainwaring like this.
  18. february31st

You don't need to have recently worked in Kuwait to know what it is like currently, my school gets a constant stream of teachers who have escaped working there. It is surprising to hear how many of the "old guard" principals our still in place after 20 years.

Biggest shock is to hear the pathetic salaries on offer for even SLT and HoD roles compared to 20 years ago.

As the old saying goes, "you arrive Q8 with two buckets,one you put the money in and the other all the manure you have to deal with and when one bucket is full you leave ASAP".(this is still valid no matter how old it is)

But you are right Q8 has changed over the years. One of my favorite hobbies during Ramadan was to sit on the 20th floor balcony that over looked "Death Roundabout" just before sunset, sitting with a cold beer in hand and watching the local population quickly eliminating themselves. Current inhabitants of Q8 no longer have this fun time activity to amuse themselves with.

19. Bentley51

It's getting worse too. They're using this pandemic to reduce salaries. Who knew the oil wouldn't last forever and they'd start to feel the pinch...

They need to be careful as every other country in the GCC is more appealing than Kuwait, other than for the money. If that goes, I honestly couldn't name you one reason to choose Kuwait.

20. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I used to do that in Abu Dhabi. The half hour before Iftar at a set of lights in front of my block of flats was particularly amusing. They drove like nutters to get home for Iftar, straight through red lights and other cars. They would also ignore the traffic cops who were positioned very dangerously in the middle of the intersection. Happy days!